Canada Facing “Brain Drain” as Young Tech Talent Leaves for Silicon Valley

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by Megalith, May 6, 2018.

1. singe_101

singe_101 2[H]4U

It's not a rebrand. China was not part of the TPP.

2. Aireoth

Aireoth 2[H]4U

Can't comment on that, but maybe you need to tie social assistance to some form of production. For example here in Canada, you only receive welfare (un-employment pay) for 12 months after your last job, and to qualify you have to work for 6 months prior to taking EI. This has encouraged plenty to take up temporary employment to meet the requirements of Employment Insurance. EI is also only about 60% of what you where making with a maximum payment of 24k.

3. vegeta535

vegeta535 2[H]4U

Unemployment works similarly here but I am talking about stuff like disability. Had 2 neighbors that we're early to mid 20s collecting disability for their back. Both got $400 a month for doing nothing. People selling their food stample for half the value at local grocery store then jumping into their Cadillac Escalade. Believe me I would love it if they tied it to some kind of productivity. Hell even going around cleaning trash around the neighborhood instead of sitting on their government housing drinking a 40 would be good enough. There would be a huge outcry about opressing the poor or some shit.

Makaveli@BETA and Aireoth like this.
  4. HockeyJon

HockeyJon [H]ard|Gawd

Pretty much this. Shocking that Amazon just created 3,000 jobs in Vancouver. PM Trudeau showed up to talk about how awesome that is, but forgot to tell everyone that the typical Amazon worker in Seattle makes double their salary.

5. HockeyJon

HockeyJon [H]ard|Gawd

Employment insurance and welfare are not the same thing. EI expires after 12 months. Welfare certainly does not.

6. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics I don't get it

That's the thing though, the start ups do keep popping up in this area. Obviously not everyone, but just to name a recent few, Uber, Lyft, Pinterest, Airbnb, and those are just San Francisco which is crazy expensive where their offices are. Although I will admit these are ones that simply get huge seed money from VCs and end up going "big" as far as where they're located.

7. allenpan

allenpan [H]ard|Gawd

I am a Canadian and put this way, any engineering job in USA is always 20% to 40% higher pay in USA

I worked in Michigan and pay is about 20% higher base on the number + 25%~40% exchange rate difference, you are looking at least 50% pay raise... Also much less tax in USA

I am paying 64% total income tax when I live in Ontario and working in Michigan at sametime...

Which is stupid ... As Canadian government consider me as high income due to the way they calculated exchange, as result I pay high tax and no benifit, (while my pay is average in USA standard)

I have to pay income tax on both USA and Canada, on USA side I can't use much of benifit, since I don't live in USA or citizen/green card

My pay cheque is been double dipped by both gov...

Canada sux

8. Unexploded

Unexploded Limp Gawd

And, oddly enough, China is still not a part of the CPTPP.
    It's the same BS agreement as the original TPP, minus the US--at this point.
    Some contentious drug patent and IP stuff is currently suspended and a meaningless and unenforceable preamble about labor rights & the environment was added to better sell it to Canadians, but that's about it.
    Maybe you were thinking of FIPA?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comprehensive_and_Progressive_Agreement_for_Trans-Pacific_Partnership
    https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...back-u-s-japanese-official-says/#.WvHMOYgvyF4

9. Unexploded

Unexploded Limp Gawd

Or that there's a good chance those jobs won't even be going to Canadians. Long history of companies popping up little outposts to bring in temporary foreign workers.
    Have them work there for a year or two and then transfer them to the US. Thus bypassing H1B Visa quotas. The last Microsoft Office to open here (Vancouver) hired 5% Canadians.
    I kinda miss having a functional media and investigative reporters.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mic...ist-mostly-of-foreigners-draft-plan-1.2990462
    https://www.bcbusiness.ca/vancouvers-temporary-tech-boom

HockeyJon and Makaveli@BETA like this.
  10. twonunpackmule

twonunpackmule [H]ard|Gawd

And most of that dead weight is cronyism.

vegeta535 likes this.
  11. Lakados

Lakados [H]ard|Gawd

Even if they are mostly Canadians and not TFW's I recall most of those 3000 jobs being in warehousing and delivery services not technical ones.

12. Unexploded

Unexploded Limp Gawd

Nah, these ones were definitely tech jobs. Though I think there's also something on the go with regard to expanding their warehouse presence as well. Similar expansion re: warehouse in Calgary as well.
    https://globalnews.ca/news/4176455/vancouver-amazon-headquarters/

13. HockeyJon

HockeyJon [H]ard|Gawd

Wow! Even better. Thanks for sharing!

Unexploded likes this.
  14. Rob94hawk

Rob94hawk 2[H]4U

No surprise since American tech companies don't hire American workers like Microsoft.....

Unexploded likes this.
  15. lostin3d

lostin3d [H]ard|Gawd

That's going to keep me laughing all day. . .unfortunately where I live we're supposed to hit the better part of 90 today.