Can you wirelessly connect a PS5 controller to PC?

Nebell

2[H]4U
I'm unable to buy PS5 atm since it's out of stock. But I need a controller for my PC and PS5 controller is in stock.
Figured getting a PS5 controller would be logical since I plan to buy PS5 in the future (and I assume it comes with only one controller).

Is it possible to connect a PS5 controller to PC via bluetooth?

Probably, people use ps4 controllers just fine. Just Google it. Personally I use a xbox one controller, wired, for my pc. Works perfectly

unnamed.jpg

Thanks all.

I bought the controller and hooked it up to my PC via BT.
Besides already know issue like no haptic feedback, there are a ton of bugs.
The controller would turn off (not because of dead battery) during matches and when I turn it on it would act all crazy with different button layout. Very annoying in competitive games like Rocket League.
I have to close the game and Big Picture and then restart it again to make it work.

Also, it only works in Steam if started in Steam Big Picture. It just blinks purple a few times and turns off if Big Picture is not on.

Just a heads up if someone planning to do the same thing I did. I hope these bugs are fixed soon.

If you want to connect Playstation controllers to PC via bluetooth, you generally need the more expensive/higher quality bluetooth modules. And even then, I would post around on some forums to find out what people are successfully using. That goes for DS3, DS4, and Dualsense (PS5 controller).

Regardless of how you connect, Steam has native support for the base funtionality of the controller. And DS4windows now supports the dual sense controller to pretend to be an 360 controller. So one way or another, you should be able to use it with most games.

Last edited:
I don't see how weird controls is a BT problem. Or the fact that it only works in Big Picture.
I think it's more of a driver/software issue.
Disconnecting might be because of BT, but it's a built in motherboard BT controller and the box is next to me. Also it has no issues with my other BT accessories.

Last edited:
Whatever software Steam is using to support the Playstation pads has actually finally fixed the issues the pads used to have via vanilla Bluetooth. I did some tests using the exact same hardware that used to drop inputs all the time. Now they're now working really well. Both the PS4 and PS5 pads. Even with the notoriously finicky and input-heavy Tekken 7 and SF4 and 5.
If you have non-Steam games you want to play with the pads, just add them as non-Steam apps. After ripping some pretty tough Tekken combos with literally about 25 inputs in under 3 seconds, I went out and bought another PS5 pad just for fighting games.

Alright so I found out the controller doesn't turn off if it's connected by cable to the computer, even though it's connected via Bluetooth.
Now if only haptic feedback would be fixed :)

As Steam continues to get updates, support is getting better, too. The LED lights are now fully customizable and the rumble functionality is now pretty terrific. When they first started supporting the controller, any time the controller was supposed to rumble it was full blast or it didn't even work. Now it's way more subtle and it has different levels.
I'm still not 100% confident we'll get full PS5 functionality out of it, but I'd recommend it as a full-time pad and alternative to the Xbox pad now.

If anyone stumbles on this thread looking for answers, the controller issues I had before where it would randomly turn off after being used wirelessly have disappeared. Probably some Steam update that fixed it.
But haptic feedback still doesn't work.

If anyone stumbles on this thread looking for answers, the controller issues I had before where it would randomly turn off after being used wirelessly have disappeared. Probably some Steam update that fixed it.
But haptic feedback still doesn't work.
Haptic feedback probably needs specific programming on a per game basis. The games that use it effectively on PS5 are amazing, though. Hopefully we'll see some developers bring it to games on PC if the existing APIs support it.

Haptic feedback probably needs specific programming on a per game basis. The games that use it effectively on PS5 are amazing, though. Hopefully we'll see some developers bring it to games on PC if the existing APIs support it.

I was wondering if there was even any announcement of support on PC for the DSs enhanced haptics and adaptive triggers. I tried searching to see if there was an API or whatever for them and couldn't find any info. Would be great if any of the existing or future PS games ported to PC got support at least, but would be surprised if any games outside of that even tried to use those features.

Anyways, I've been using my spare DS controller hardwired on PC for a few months now with no issues. Haven't tried to use it via BT yet since my controller is only like 18" from my front USB port while I'm using it anyways. Now if only there was an easy way to replace most game's Xbox button prompts with PS ones since the vast majority of PC games are setup to use the Xbox controller. Sometimes I have issues remembering the Xbox's button layout and corresponding buttons on the DS.

I got a PS5 controller now that my old PC gaming standby PS4 controller is starting to go bad on me (I think I got it near PS4 launch) and I quite like it. I've mostly been using it through steamlink so far, which has been seamless, even as Wireless controller (across the room) -> Nvidia Switch -wired network-> PC @4k60.
There's not any perceptable controller lag, though every now and then there's a hiccup in the gamestream.

I didn't even have to do anything, steam and the shield just picked it up as a PS5 controller even though i've never touched my computer with it.

As far as I know, the PS5 DualSense controller works both wired and wirelessly. It’s just that your system needs to support Bluetooth.

Back