Can you use an air compressor to clean your case?

SexTreX

Limp Gawd
I was at techpowerup forums the other day and stumbled across this article. I haven't clean my case in a couple months, so its about that time, and I was going to try using the air compressor I have to blow most of the dust out. I'm a little hesitant though because I know that it doesn't take much to ruin a component.

Is this a good or bad idea? Has anyone used an air compressor to clean their case?

I think there's a way you can do it... I think it depends on what end you use, whatever uses less pressure.

Yes, but make sure the air is dry, and regulate the pressure. I would turn the pressure all the way down, and bring it up slowly until it starts to blow the dust out, then turn it up a hair more.

Yes, but make sure the air is dry, and regulate the pressure. I would turn the pressure all the way down, and bring it up slowly until it starts to blow the dust out, then turn it up a hair more.

Right, I was thinking i would keep it sub-30 psi... do you use a compressor to clean your case?

I've used compressed air to clean my 'puters for years about once every 6 months they get taken outside and blasted....never caused a problem.

I've used them for the better part of a decade, without issue. I just try to hold it as upright as possible, so nothing but air comes out.

Beware the condensation! Use a drier on the line for your components sake!

This is the most important part. As long as you have a compressor with the ability to remove water from the air your fine.

I thought this was a standard part of case cleaning, I just picked up a can of compressed air yesterday.

Air compressor =/= can of compressed air

I have an air compressor in my garage, but I use it mostly for pumping tires and using pneumatic tools. I also have a blow gun attachment that I use to clean the garage floor, but apparently it can be used to clean out computer cases.
This will save me $5 every couple months or so when my case needs cleaning.

i've been blowing out my computers with a standard shop compressor for years.. never had any damage. Just make sure you hold your fans to not stress the motors

If water gets on/in your case, so what. It's not going to damage anything, just let it dry out before you use it. Although I've blown computers out in 100% humidity and plugged them right back in.

Can you use an air compressor to clean your case?

sure you can!
I want my case squeaky clean !!!
Feel free to wax the paint job of my case while you're at it, u know to help bring out some the extra shine ;)

Regulate the pressure?

I've used 800 psi on mine before....

You forgot your smileys on that post thar.

Most commercial and some home compressors max out at 175psi. CFM is where it's at with compressors since there aren't many tools that use 175psi as an operating pressure.

You forgot your smileys on that post thar.

Most commercial and some home compressors max out at 175psi. CFM is where it's at with compressors since there aren't many tools that use 175psi as an operating pressure.

I forgot nothing ;)

I have used a paintball tank to clean my case on multiple occasions. Free to get filled, and air is filtered and dry. If the tank runs out, I got a scuba tank in my garage to fill the tank from. I could clean computers all day with that thing

I forgot nothing ;)

I have used a paintball tank to clean my case on multiple occasions. Free to get filled, and air is filtered and dry. If the tank runs out, I got a scuba tank in my garage to fill the tank from. I could clean computers all day with that thing

Since this thread was about air compressors, your post should have mentioned that you were using a filled tank and not a compressor.

What were you using for a nozzle to direct the airflow, and how far away were you keeping that nozzle from the components? I can't imagine you were too close.

I just used a foot or so of macroline. The diametere of the tubing is maybe 1/4" max, I don't really know. I wasn't right on top of the stuff, but I can't say I was exercising caution...... of course at 800 PSI you don't have to get too close to send the dust bunnies running.

I didn't mention the tank at first cause we were just talking about pressure lol.

EDIT: .150" inner diameter

Back