Can you use a P-M with the 910 chipset?

icthus13

2[H]4U
I have a laptop currently running a celeron M chip using the Intel 910GML chipset. Is it possible to drop a Pentium M chip in there? Intel's site doesn't list it as supported, but we all know that doesn't necessarily mean it's not *possible*

Just looking for experiences before I buy a chip. Thanks!

I have P M 1.6 533FSB laying around and I was gonna pop it in a lappy with the 910 chipset also, but from what I read on the net it would not work. Now if you have a P M with a 400FSB that might do the trick. I guess you wont know unless you try it.

Look around on mobo makers web pages that make mobos with the 910 chipset and see if any of them have support for the M. Again YMMV if you are using a Dell and the BIOS does not support the M.

It's a Compaq V2000, so I might give it a try.

Anyone else have any experience?

Intel doesn't support it officially, but i have read that it does work if the laptop BIOS supports it.

I believe that Compaq ships 2 different motherboards in that laptop depending on which CPU type is used (915GM/GMS for P-M, 910GML for Celeron-M). There's a good chance it won't work in the V2000.

I did a search on "Quanta 308F" and found this site. It's a review of a Compaq V2000 with a Pentium M processor, and at the bottom he posts the CPU-Z information from his laptop. It has the same motherboard as mine. Interesting? I think so.

Everest seems to think I have the 910 GML chipset for sure

However, Everest just tends to read the hardware information stored in drivers and not scan the actual hardware, so I'm more inclined to listen to CPU-Z.

Here's the CPU section screenshot just for the heck of it:

What do you guys think? Do I have a decent chance of success if I go for it?

I think you might of lucked out. I dont see why Compaq would use 2 different Bios revisions on the same board so I think it might actually work.

I have the same 910gml on my dell B130. banias core wont work. dothan 725 works like a charm :)

StealthyFish said:
hmm.... i hope you're sure the CM isn't soldered to the board, lol.

Guess what? It was. LAME.

I guess I'll just sell the Dothan I bought, haha.

icthus13 said:
Guess what? It was. LAME.

I guess I'll just sell the Dothan I bought, haha.

That doesn't look like the CPU. Dothan's have a Rectangular shaped core. I think you're looking at the chipset

Hi i have Hp -Compaq V2625TS and i am also confused as u r . Therefore please contact me
Thanks

Back