Can you upgrade from Tiger to Snow Leopard?

Rizen

[H]F Junkie
My friend wants to upgrade her Mac from Tiger to Snow Leopard. However she was only able to find these two packages:

* Mac OS X v10.5 (Leopard): Upgrade your Mac by purchasing Mac OS X Snow Leopard for $29
* Mac OS X v10.4 (Tiger): Upgrade by purchasing the Mac Box Set, which includes Snow Leopard, iLife ’09, and iWork ’09, for just $169.

She doesn't want the $169 kit with iWork since she has Office for Mac. Is there a cheaper way of upgrading?

No, she has an Intel-based MacBook from a few years ago. Sorry, should have included that in the OP.

i'm not sure if its possible, but i've had issues with upgrades in general (even from 10.5 to 10.6), so i'd suggest a clean install of SL.

back up her drive, fresh install of SL, then migrate.

Yeah the $29 upgrade copy will let you do a clean install no problem, although as Zum stated, not technically allowed.

Yeah the $29 upgrade copy will let you do a clean install no problem, although as Zum stated, not allowed per the EULA, which has different legal implications depending on the federal district you live in.

fixed for better accuracy

Technically, the Snow Leopard upgrade disk can do a full install. The terms of the EULA require leopard installed before performing the upgrade to Snow Leopard. The legality of doing so without Leopard is up for debate.

I don't think it really matters or that they care, otherwise I think they'd use registration keys like they do with their Pro applications.

I am sure they care, but I doubt they think it is worth troubling users for keys and the like when the vast majority of people installing OS X are installing it on their hardware that they made a decent chunk of change on. It is one of the benefits Apple has being the hardware and software vendor.

Back