Can you upgrade from a Vista 32bit OEM to Windows 7 64bit upgrade kit?

ellover009

[H]ard|Gawd
Can you upgrade from a Vista 32bit OEM to Windows 7 64bit upgrade kit?
I have been tempted to make the jump to windows 7 and I have looked at a few options.
At the moment I dual boot between XP and Vista (in vista partition is currently taken up by windows 7 64bit Beta).

1. Can I upgrade from vista 32 OEM to Windows 7 home/business/ultimate?
2. If I am allowed to upgrade from OEM will the new license be treated as an OEM or retail license? will I be able to pass it on when my hardware gets upgraded?
3. after the first time you upgrade can you go straight to install from the disk the 2nd time without having to install vista first?, bypass it all?
4. From what I understand biggest difference between the 3 ver is Business supports 2 cpu sockets, gives you emulated xp mode and some extra file sharing options, Ultimate just adds language pack and bit locker. So do I really need Home pro or move on up to business or ultimate for the bitlocker? do I even need bit locker?

Thanks

1. Yes, you can upgrade, but it will require you to do a wipe and fresh install, what microsoft calls a "custom" upgrade install instead of an "in-place" upgrade install.

2. Yes, you can upgrade from OEM, I don't know what the final license is considered.

3. You can do that from the very first install, no need to wait til the second. You don't need proof of a previous XP/Vista install to do a full fresh install of 7. See the HardOCP front page.

4. I don't know, you have to tell us that. Do you need bitlocker? Do you use dual cpu sockets? Do you want to use XP mode? Do you want to be a host for RDP clients? Do you need to connect to a domain? Do you need those language packs? Check wikipedia.org or microsoft.com for comparison charts of the versions. It's not real hard. But we don't know your needs.

Atm I dual boot my system. Maybe if the virtual windows is good I can ditch dual boot setup, I do know it won't be hardware accelerated in xp mode. At least is a bit less confusing, right now my main concern is how the upgrade lisence is treated. Will you get same lisence as oem or retail or something all together when upgrading from oem copy.

Back