Can you track an iphone after it is wiped?

sharp

[H]ard|Gawd
So I've searched, but not found the answer so here I am:

Can you track an iphone after it's been wiped?

iLocalis can still track after the sim is switched out and that's fun.. but it doesn't (seem) to do anything if the thief turns off your phone, plugs it in and wipes it.

iHound can (seemingly) track it at the point they plug in to iTunes... I'm suspicious that a bad guy plugging in to nuke your phone to resell it would have their iTunes connected to the net in the first place.

MobileMe seems equally unhelpful.

...Each phone has a unique ESN right? So why in the heck is it so hard to find software to track said phone regardless of SIM or formatting?

I have a 3g cracked, and a 3gs not.

Thanks for any help here.

Im pretty sure Apple can track when an ipod/iphone is connected to iTunes

Each phone has a unique ESN and so you think it would not be too difficult for them to establish a ban list for stolen phones (especially if a police report or such has been filed). The simple fact is that companies do not do this because it does nothing for their bottom line. Apple gets a new customer from the same phone number with another SIM and the guy who had his phone lost/stolen now has to go buy or upgrade a new phone and likely renew his contract. Its all business and the consumer loses more than just his phone.

Each phone has a unique ESN and so you think it would not be too difficult for them to establish a ban list for stolen phones (especially if a police report or such has been filed). The simple fact is that companies do not do this because it does nothing for their bottom line. Apple gets a new customer from the same phone number with another SIM and the guy who had his phone lost/stolen now has to go buy or upgrade a new phone and likely renew his contract. Its all business and the consumer loses more than just his phone.

so true. if they can keep such strict tabs on serial numbers for a freaking rebate (for denial) the tracking of a phone ESN should be so easy.

Plus it is just too much of a legal hassle to determine if a phone is actually stolen (imagine buying a used phone with cash and then the buyer turns around to claim that you stole it, etc.)

Companies don't do this because it would cause serious security and legal concerns.

Being able to track any phone based on ESN? Yea, nothing bad could come of that.

Companies don't do this because it would cause serious security and legal concerns.

Being able to track any phone based on ESN? Yea, nothing bad could come of that.

Like what? Seriously. If you think it's not being done. Think again. Patriot Act. Personally I don't care if I'm being tracked.

Government is listening to coversations for key words and monitoring locations. Not a big deal.

As far as reselling goes, it's the same with most any product that has a unique online identifier. Xbox, Ps3 come to mind.

Whenever I have sold a firearm I always get a signed "bill of sale." To protect myself in case of future incidents with said firearm. It could get resold a dozen times and I may be the only person on record of having owned it. I don't see why it would not apply to other items. I have not sold a phone, however.

Read the sticky in sale forum. Good ways to protect seller and buyer, it's a shame the telcos have not read it.

Like what? Seriously. If you think it's not being done. Think again. Patriot Act. Personally I don't care if I'm being tracked.

Government is listening to coversations for key words and monitoring locations. Not a big deal.

As far as reselling goes, it's the same with most any product that has a unique online identifier. Xbox, Ps3 come to mind.

Whenever I have sold a firearm I always get a signed "bill of sale." To protect myself in case of future incidents with said firearm. It could get resold a dozen times and I may be the only person on record of having owned it. I don't see why it would not apply to other items. I have not sold a phone, however.

Read the sticky in sale forum. Good ways to protect seller and buyer, it's a shame the telcos have not read it.

So just how many tin foil hats do you own?

So just how many tin foil hats do you own?

Hey fucktard, I'm saying it happens and I don't care. No tin foil for me, I'm not paranoid at all.

Edit: Gonna throw it back to you. Yer the one worried about bad things if they track ESNs. What exactly are those bad things yer worried about?

Last edited:
Back