Can you take 2 raid0 sets and put them in raid1?

rjolin01

[H]ard|Gawd
I plan on getting a network storge enclosure for use so my wife and i can share files esier. I am going to put my 2x 1tb caviar greens in the enclosure. My question is can I raid0 these two hdds and get two more of same drives and raid0 those together. THEN raid1 the 2x raid0 sets? I know some will say just get 2x 2gb drives, but since I have these two already and can get 2x 1tb drives for cheap I was wondering if this was possible.

Yes, if whatever is controlling it supports nested RAID levels. Look for RAID 0+1 or RAID 1+0 support. RAID 0+1 or 01 does what you describe. RAID 1+0 or 10 puts two or more RAID 1 arrays in a RAID 0 stripe.

You're going to try and RAID1 some networked connected RAID0 with an internal RAID0 array?

I have no idea how you plan to do that but please let us know how it works out for ya.

Good Luck!

The disadvantage of what you proposed is it's less than ideal from a recovery standpoint.

If you lose one drive in the RAID0 array (on a RAID 0+1 setup), you have to actually rebuild 2 drives worth of data because it killed that whole RAID0 array.

With RAID10, you can actually lose 1 drive on each RAID1 array, and still be okay. You obviously cannot lose 2 drives on the same RAID1 array, but presumably you would replace a failed drive quickly and would not have that impacted state for long.

Performance is going to be nearly the same, just be sure to get the same drive sizes so you don't have any wasted space.

You may be overcomplicating things. I would just use the one Raid 0 set and get a backup program to automagically back it up every week or so.

Important stuff like your family photos should have 2 independent backups.

Don

Well, I'm lost.

How do you create a RAID0 volume on a network connected storge enclosure?

No, that would work but be extremely hacky.
OK.

Could you combine that array with one controlled by the Intel chipset?

Or could it be done entirely thru iSCSI LUNs and using software RAID?

I'm totally ignorant about iSCSI LUNs......whatever that is. :)

You can do quite a few things with the HP Array Configuration Utility.

Although I find it kinda interesting I'm betting the OP has no idea of what would be involved with his request.

The other thing is, AFAIK WD Green drives don't play well with RAID.

Wadda think OP?

I read that the OP has 2 x 1TB drives and wants to buy 2 more and have 4 in his NAS Enclosure and do RAID10. Easy done as long as it supports that level of RAID. Am I missing something?

Back