Can you stop EVGA cards from shutting the fans off at idle?

LigTasm

Supreme [H]ardness
I have an EVGA 3070 with the XC3 cooler. Is this possible? I know they are designed to be off at idle up to a certain temp, and I can't find anything in the Precision software to stop this from happening.

The fans on this thing rattle like a bastard when they spin up and its annoying as hell, but probably slightly less annoying than trying to get it fixed or replaced under warranty given the card situation right now. Solution is obviously to not let the fans shut off and everyone is happy.

I tried running a "custom" curve with auto mode off but then it doesn't really seem to follow what I've put on the graph and basically just runs at 100% all the time. If you change the page in the program it resets everything to default no matter how I save, apply, or set profiles.

Last edited:
If it is that bad I would start an RMA process or at least contact their support, if something is wrong it is only going to get worse with time if the fans are out of balance or something.

I ran a custom curve with the EVGA Precision X1 software and it seemed to work when I had my 3080 XC3.

The FTW3s have a bios switch that turns off idle stop in OC mode, not sure if XC3s come with it too...

I ran a custom curve with the EVGA Precision X1 software and it seemed to work when I had my 3080 XC3.

The problem is it won't hold custom anything, let alone fans. It resets every time I switch the page or minimize it.

I would check out the evga forums. There are techs on there that will help with your issue and help with RMA if you need it. Their support is what they are known for.

The problem is it won't hold custom anything, let alone fans. It resets every time I switch the page or minimize it.
Maybe try reinstalling Precision? I'm using a 20 series card, but I had the same issue, where I wanted it to never shut the fans off, and setting a curve that bottoms out at about 20% fan speed worked for me.

Try GPU Tweak III from ASUS, it has a 0 db fan mode that you can enable or disable, the last I heard anyways it did.

I just set mine today using Precision. I downloaded it through Steam, which keeps it updated.
Fans set to Auto on the home screen. On the Fan curve page check the small box to enable Fan Curve Control.

Fans are on all the time, temps dropped from 47C to 35C. 3070Ti FTW3.

Here's a tip: If you don't see the apply button active, whatever you're doing will not save. Use the tray icon to bring up Precision, any other way it will reload the app.

I'd do the EVGA RMA, they always keep stock on hand for RMA. You can be fixed in a day.

I have an EVGA 3070 with the XC3 cooler. Is this possible? I know they are designed to be off at idle up to a certain temp, and I can't find anything in the Precision software to stop this from happening.

The fans on this thing rattle like a bastard when they spin up and its annoying as hell, but probably slightly less annoying than trying to get it fixed or replaced under warranty given the card situation right now. Solution is obviously to not let the fans shut off and everyone is happy.

I tried running a "custom" curve with auto mode off but then it doesn't really seem to follow what I've put on the graph and basically just runs at 100% all the time. If you change the page in the program it resets everything to default no matter how I save, apply, or set profiles.
There's no need to RMA, just use the MSI AfterBurner program and set your own custom min. speed for the fans. I've been using it for years, and it has never failed to hold any and all of my settings for nVidia cards, ever (as long as you click the little diskette icon after you set it up the way you want). It is the most awesome tool for overclocking or customizing your nVidia card's behavoir.

There's no need to RMA, just use the MSI AfterBurner program and set your own custom min. speed for the fans. I've been using it for years, and it has never failed to hold any and all of my settings for nVidia cards, ever (as long as you click the little diskette icon after you set it up the way you want). It is the most awesome tool for overclocking or customizing your nVidia card's behavoir.

I finally had time today to sit down and mess with it, I had to uninstall the Precision software and reinstall it with admin authority and it seems to work fine now. I have it set to run 20% at idle instead of stopping and now there is no rattling sounds every 20-30 seconds when the fans would flare up to cool the card at idle.

I finally had time today to sit down and mess with it, I had to uninstall the Precision software and reinstall it with admin authority and it seems to work fine now. I have it set to run 20% at idle instead of stopping and now there is no rattling sounds every 20-30 seconds when the fans would flare up to cool the card at idle.
I have the exact same issue and have always done the exact same solution. Keep all fans at 20% minimum using Precision X1. Works like a charm. No idea why it wasn't working for you previously but I can say with certainty it works fine doing it this way. The only time you get that annoy sound is on startup when Precision X1 starts and applies the custom fan curve.

I have the exact same issue and have always done the exact same solution. Keep all fans at 20% minimum using Precision X1. Works like a charm. No idea why it wasn't working for you previously but I can say with certainty it works fine doing it this way. The only time you get that annoy sound is on startup when Precision X1 starts and applies the custom fan curve.
I almost always do this now anyway, you can't hear most fans when they're at 20-30% speed and some cards like a zotac I used to have you would hear the relay click on and off when the fans would stop/cycle quickly.

Well I figured out what the problem actually was, the fans are fine just the fan wires came out of the little clip so it was rattling against the fan blade when it started up. I pushed it back into the clip and now the rattle is gone. I think I blew the wire out of its holder with my datavac when I was dusting it.

Back