Can you still get screen tearing on CRT's?

colinstu

2[H]4U
Let's say if I had a CRT running at 80hz, and I'm playing a game that's still well over 80fps, will I get screen tearing? I'd imagine so...

Of course. I'd imagine that it's more noticeable in LCDs though and the higher the refresh rate the lesser the problem.

Must be fairly new to gaming (never gamed with a CRT) to ask that?

I use to game on 17" CRT's, but that was long ago (7+ years), and the video cards I used never were able to max out the games I played.

I moved to a 17" LCD after that, and have been using my 24" Dell for the past few years.

Sorry Tolyngee! Jesus... lol

Oh yes, I recall playing Guild Wars on my old FW900 (22.5" CRT), which would generate 200+ FPS, and the tearing when spinning around in place was very apparent.

As Tweakguides states it, "Tearing is found equally on CRT or LCD monitors, since both work on the same basis for compatibility purposes - see the Response Time section of this guide for more details."

Sorry Tolyngee! Jesus... lol

Well, since you get screen tearing anytime your framerate != your refresh rate, I don't understand why someone who has used CRTs would ask, unless they always had v-sync on back then when using a CRT...

Well, since you get screen tearing anytime your framerate != your refresh rate, I don't understand why someone who has used CRTs would ask, unless they always had v-sync on back then when using a CRT...

Well I was expecting there'd be tearing, but it just seemed like it was a bigger topic when LCDs started rolling out, so I started thinking to myself... "was there tearing? is it less apparent on CRTs?"

The FW900 that evilsofa is talking about is actually the screen I'm interested in.

Is it possible to make a custom v-sync? Cap the frames at 80fps?

V-sync will cap your fps at whatever your monitors refresh rate is.

Why 80 though? The FW900 can push 96hz at 1920x1200.

Bummrus[H]a;1036006615 said:

Why 80 though? The FW900 can push 96hz at 1920x1200.

I think I'd want to do the highest resolution, but you're right, for games 1920x1200 should be fine.

The difference is you can still get tearing with a Vsync on, with an LCD (in theory).

LCDs don't blank between frames, so if there is a big change between frames you will still get half of one frame and half of the other.

With CRTs, the old frame will have faded out buy the time the new one is being drawn, so seeing any Vsync on tearing is much less likely

The difference is you can still get tearing with a Vsync on, with an LCD (in theory).

LCDs don't blank between frames, so if there is a big change between frames you will still get half of one frame and half of the other.

With CRTs, the old frame will have faded out buy the time the new one is being drawn, so seeing any Vsync on tearing is much less likely

Yup, with vsync on, I still get tearing in my games on my lcd. I'm using a Radeon 5970, so I'm getting hundreds of fps on many of my games. Even if I enable vsync in these games, I still get screen tearing on occasions.

Used to play Quake 3 Arena with a Geforce DDR on a crt and had a lot of tearing.

Bummrus[H]a;1036006615 said:
wait..is this true? If so, then why does everybody seem to hate vsync?

I thought vsync capped at 30fps?

Back