Can you provide me some quick help with picking a PC monitor?

NathanP2007

[H]ard|Gawd
So, I have a crappy 20 inch hooked up to my second PC. I am looking for a new monitor (general usage, potentially gaming but I'm not a hardcore gamer with a picky eye) and I figure the deals now (Black Friday + Cyber Monday) mean now is the time to buy. What I'm looking for: 24" or bigger. 1080P. While I'd prefer G-Sync (as an Nvidia gpu guy) I don't care if it isn't available on the monitor I should get.

So far these are the deals that caught my attention:

1. Dell - SE2717HR 27" IPS LED FHD FreeSync Monitor for $119
  2. Asus VG248QE 24" LED HD monitor for $169
  3. Asus VC239H Slim Bezel Black 23" for $89 (MIR)
  4. MSI Optix G24C 24" Full HD LCD Gaming Monitor, Curved Screen, OPTIXG24C for $149

If you know of a better monitor in that same $0-180ish price range than I'd love for you to recommend it to me! But if not, as techies who know more about monitors than me, which of those four do you like most?

The Dell looks nice at 27".

But the MSI has 144Hz, that would be nicer for gaming.

What GPU is in that rig?

The Dell looks nice at 27".

But the MSI has 144Hz, that would be nicer for gaming.

What GPU is in that rig?

I think it is an AMD 6950. The thing is, while my gaming rig (in my sig) is hooked up to my 55" TCL TV, one day it could very well be hooked up to the monitor I am going to buy this week. So that is why I mention wanting the monitor to at least be acceptable when it comes to gaming.

Currently the 27" Dell and the MSI (with its 1ms & 144Hz) are my top two most attractive to buy. I think I'm inclined to prefer size over performance.

27" is definitely at better size. 24" is pretty small these days.

Especially with a 6950, you won't be able to take advantage of 144Hz unless on old games.

Back