Can You Not Play HL2 WITHOUT STEAM?!?!?

Vezra

Limp Gawd
OMFG!!!! I'm getting so pissed off at this stupid piss poor of an idea valve seemed to have with steam. WTF were they thinking? I mean my God, security is a good thing but this over does it BIG TIME. After I got my second copy of HL2 (First one had no cd key) I drove home as fast as I could to start loading on my box of gibs and joy. Little did I know that the install process was like trying to hack into FBI or something. After about an hour of installing the game I thought my grief was over and nothing else but happiness. WRONG!! Can't play HL2 without being on the net? W.......T........F?????? My DSL modem went bad and SBC is sending me a new one so I'm having to use 56K at the moment and having to wait 45 MOTHER F@&%ING MINUTES before I can play each time so steam can update is about to drive me over the edge. I mean, from what I have played of HL2, it is one of the best games I have ever played and this just adds to my frustration!! I don't know how many times I have thought about just taking this POS back to EB Games and getting something else. Sorry for the rant, but I really had to get it out. Anyway. Is there ANYWAY to play HL2 without being on the net?

PS I really don't think I will buy another product if steam is anywhere near it.

Hi, you can play in 'offline mode'.
Take the pc with HL2 off the net (manually, or tell your firewall to block steam access), then restart steam. It will then have an 'offline mode' button. Click it and you're set, you can play without the net.

Congratulations, you're poster #4,920,827,435 with this same exact topic.

I know you don't want to hear this... but maybe you should have read the minimum system requirements before you bought the game

ItsSoLARGE said:
I know you don't want to hear this... but maybe you should have read the minimum system requirements before you bought the game

He does have an internet connection...maybe Valve should modify that "Internet Connection" requirement to either "Broadband recommended" or smack on a disclaimer that says, "Warning: Our servers may or may not be getting fucked 5 different ways from Sunday when you try authenticating."

finalgt said:
He does have an internet connection...maybe Valve should modify that "Internet Connection" requirement to either "Broadband recommended" or smack on a disclaimer that says, "Warning: Our servers may or may not be getting fucked 5 different ways from Sunday when you try authenticating."
lmao id lo ve to see that sticker on the box

ItsSoLARGE said:

I don't have the game, so I'm not sure about this.

It may say "Internet Connection," but does it say "You'll have to download our shitty client, STEAM, which may take a metric fuckton of time if you're not on broadband."

A lot of people probably knew they needed internet access, they just didn't know they needed STEAM, which is where the problems actually lie, imo.

When you log on to "Steam", make sure you check the "Save my password" option if you want to be able to play offline.

I can sympathize with you on the slow connection. I average 38.6 kb's out here in The Swamp, and by the time I got done Fvcking around installing the game and downloading Steam(ing pile) I was too tired to play. ;)

finalgt said:

I dont think people understand what the authenticating part is doing. The initial Authentication takes a few seconds, the wait time is decrypting and unlocking the game itself, which comes in near 4GB. It's going to take a while, and if you didnt know you needed Steam to play HL2 before it came out you must not read much. It's been plastered everywhere for a few weeks before release now.

so assuming you bought the game in a store, you have every right under fair use to use a nosteam hack...
/doesnt even have steam installed/

Triath said:
I dont think people understand what the authenticating part is doing. The initial Authentication takes a few seconds, the wait time is decrypting and unlocking the game itself, which comes in near 4GB. It's going to take a while, and if you didnt know you needed Steam to play HL2 before it came out you must not read much. It's been plastered everywhere for a few weeks before release now.

Not everyone reads this forum or others (don't read much). Some people just see the game in the store and buy it, expecting to install the game and play it. Not used to having to go through the equivalent of a visit to the dentist just to get the fricken' thing working. I read the forums and I didn't know anything besides the fact I needed an internet connection (which is stated in very fine print on the bottom of the box). I figured it was just for authentication, as it says nothing about STEAM whatsoever.
I really hadn't paid much attention to HL 2 and only decided to get it when a bunch of people on another (non computer/gaming) forum said it was great.
This game is kind of like "Cracker Jacks", every box has a surprise inside.

The downloading part I believe he's talking about is not the game itself, but STEAM, which took just about forever on my dial-up. In fact it's only at 98% still, and doesn't seem like it wants to go to 100%.
Got HL2 running OK, but so far no luck with CS Source.

I can see why alot of people are having problems with this game.

Triath said:
What involving Steam are you dling? Steam is on the CD.

Maybe not STEAM itself, probably updates.
Anyway, it'd been hanging at 98% since Friday morning after I installed the game.

After running it most of the day, then all night till about 7 AM Saturday, then running it for a couple hours last night it finally finished updating and I can now run CS:S.

Ludic said:
Congratulations, you're poster #4,920,827,435 with this same exact topic.
Guess that just goes to show you how sucky Steam really is...

Critofur said:
Guess that just goes to show you how sucky Steam really is...
No, it shows how uninformed most consumers are. If you didn't know HL2 required Steam, then you lived under a rock. If you didn't know what Steam was or how it worked, you had a very long time before HL2 came out to install it, and try it out/test it. If you didn't like it, you didn't have to get HL2. But, instead of informing themselves, ignorance wins out, and millions of "Steam sucks, HL2 sucks, Valve sucks" etc and so on threads are created, wasting valuable internet bandwidth and cache space on my hard drive.

damn im tired and pissed off, ive been forced to download this update before playing hl2.
i have a fricken 56k modem, and about 300 minutes of dloading.
i didnt realy mind the dload time too much, but when im 90% almost complete with the update.... I GET BOOTED! and i get a message that says:
steam - error

this game is currently unavailable.
Please try again another time.

And i have to restart the f*cken dload all over again, the least they gould have done was give the updater a g-damn resume feature, i mean damn.. i have to work in the morning.
i am so damn pissed. i need to know if i can play the game without getting this update.

BWAHAHAHA!!!! There's finally a good "eyepatch"...take that Steam!!! Fark You!!!!! That is all I will say about that here tho...You'll have to figure out the rest on your own...and I suggest you actually buy the farking game cause for one you'd be breaking the law :rolleyes: and two, it'd take a farking long time to DL all those GB's over the internet...So go buy the damn game and then use your newly found power to tell Steam to fook off...PM me if you have any questions about...uhhh...using the controls in the game ;) :rolleyes:...actually don't cause you bastards will flood my PM's and that'll sux...holy crap I need to stop talking and get in bed...almost 5AM...ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.............

P.S.: Oh yeah...and when you buy the game make sure you don't buy it online cause that only gives Steam more money...Steam sux for screwing us with all this crap...and if you mods wanna delete this post then go ahead cause I'm have asleep and will barely remember me typing this...nite all........

duuuuuumb said:
And i have to restart the f*cken dload all over again, the least they gould have done was give the updater a g-damn resume feature, i mean damn.. i have to work in the morning.
i am so damn pissed. i need to know if i can play the game without getting this update.
It does have a resume.

it has a resume?
why didnt it for me?
oh well guesse ill look for that eyepatch.

Vezra said:
Can You Not Play HL2 WITHOUT STEAM?!?!?

Yes. And before you get excited about that answer, try improving your sentence structure. ;)

Ludic said:
No, it shows how uninformed most consumers are. If you didn't know HL2 required Steam, then you lived under a rock. If you didn't know what Steam was or how it worked, you had a very long time before HL2 came out to install it, and try it out/test it. If you didn't like it, you didn't have to get HL2. But, instead of informing themselves, ignorance wins out, and millions of "Steam sucks, HL2 sucks, Valve sucks" etc and so on threads are created, wasting valuable internet bandwidth and cache space on my hard drive.
Even WITH a complete lack of ignorance, you can STILL say Steam sucks, becaue it does. Some people don't mind it at all, some people don't have any problems with it. But for a lot of people, Steam causes either serious irritation or problems so bad as to make the product (HL2) unusable, many of these issues not being caused by ignorance.

But, besides all that, you do have to assume that most customers will be "uninformed". I'm sure the majority of Americands don't know that HL2 requires Steam. I'm also sure that a fair portion of people that have fairly up to date computers would not think that they need to read the "requirements" listed on the box to be sure a program will work on their PC, they are confident that it will, so they would not see the "Internet connection required" statement on the box. Which, of course, is not a reasonable requirement for the single player portion of a game.

Back