Can you mine with a cell phone

audi911

n00b
Hello,
I think this may have existed in the past but I am unsure if it still exists, but can someone mine with a cell phone that only has Wifi?
This may be an uneducated question, I googled it for the most part the answer seems to be no but there are some youtube videos that say it is possible still today.
Anyone?
Thanks!

My guess is that if it ever picks up again, it will be some shitcoin. Or maybe one of those Pay to play cell phone games.

No, cellphones are far too inefficient for mining today. Check Bhiaheza on YouTube - he tried with several different phones. He was making less than a dollar a year from all phones combined, and spending many times that for power. Cellphones for mining are a complete dead end. The same with USB miners.
Completely wrong. Plenty of people are mining VRSC on phones (even broken phones) and making way more than that.

My VRSC rig, profitable even with VRSC at bottom prices right now. ~250MH/s eating about 340w or so at the wall. Destroys my AMD 5950X/5900X/3900X systems at efficiency, it's not even close.

586318_20220127_191214_HDR.jpg

586319_20220127_191427_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Also who is this Biaheza noob on YouTube, try an actual OG miner like

Seems to me you'd want those screens off to minimize consumption --- not to mention keep resale value high.
It doesn't pull anything extra at the wall on/off with the brightness on low and it makes figuring out which one needs a reboot much easier. Also these phones were $25-35 each, they are going in the trash if anything breaks but knock on wood so far, been running like champs.

It doesn't pull anything extra at the wall on/off with the brightness on low and it makes figuring out which one needs a reboot much easier. Also these phones were $25-35 each, they are going in the trash if anything breaks but knock on wood so far, been running like champs.
what phones are these? how much revenue on one of them per day?

Is there any site that provides profitability calculator with particular cell phone models?

Various phones, pixel 2/3, LG V30-V45, Samsung S8. Anything Snapdragon 835 or higher is preferable w/ 4gb ram. Broken screen, really used phones off eBay are the best.

https://minerstat.com/coin/VRSC

I make about $4 a day with this setup after electricity, but I am spec mining so not really going to pay attention to the $/day as long as it's breakeven.

Various phones, pixel 2/3, LG V30-V45, Samsung S8. Anything Snapdragon 835 or higher is preferable w/ 4gb ram. Broken screen, really used phones off eBay are the best.

https://minerstat.com/coin/VRSC

I make about $4 a day with this setup after electricity, but I am spec mining so not really going to pay attention to the $/day as long as it's breakeven.
$4 a day is nice.... but the real question is how much did you put in to get there? Its tempting, but the idea of purchasing a ton of broken phones for $20-$30 each seems like a lot of work

$4 a day is nice.... but the real question is how much did you put in to get there? Its tempting, but the idea of purchasing a ton of broken phones for $20-$30 each seems like a lot of work
~$2500.

So it would take a little under 2 years to recoup the investment. I don't understand why you'd want to do this.
I mean putting it together was fun... and it's speculative mining with under 2 year ROI (assuming the price stays rock bottom like it is...). What else can you ROI in under 2 years out there?

Edit: it's 1.5 years ROI at prices today but who cares I am not cashing at anytime soon since I am yielding the most coins right now. And if you compare this to Raptoreum.. let's put this into perspective, if you bought four 5950X systems for under $2500 total, you'll be making just under $2 a day after .12c electric. Or a RTX 3090 to mine ETH will net you $4-4.5 also and have a similar ROI for the current going rate.

Last edited:
I mean putting it together was fun... and it's speculative mining with under 2 year ROI (assuming the price stays rock bottom like it is...). What else can you ROI in under 2 years out there?

Edit: it's 1.5 years ROI at prices today but who cares I am not cashing at anytime soon since I am yielding the most coins right now. And if you compare this to Raptoreum.. let's put this into perspective, if you bought four 5950X systems for under $2500 total, you'll be making just under $2 a day after .12c electric. Or a RTX 3090 to mine ETH will net you $4-4.5 also and have a similar ROI for the current going rate.
Yeah, i can relate to it as a hobby. It was kind of diverting and addictive.

Back