Can you make an HTPC turn off the TV

coder_t2

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok, so I hooked my computer to my HTPC via DVI - HDMI cable. Now I was hoping that when i put in the power settings to turn of the monitor after 20 minutes, it would turn the tv off, or put it in some kind of power saving mode like my computer monitor. But it just cuts the output to the tv. The tv just sits there as if the computer wasn't on. Is there anyway to make it turn off the TV or something similar? I have a 37'' Samsung LCD. Thanks.

With my tv, if it doesn't receive a signal for like 5 minutes it automatically shuts down. So I set the computer to shut down the monitor and the signal goes blank on the screen and 5 minutes later it shuts itself off. Might work with your tv.

Generally no unless there is some built-in power saving feature and that would depend on the model.

My somewhat expensive LG 47LH90 LED backlit HDTV does not have that feature. Even something like an expensive Sony XBR6 series does not have that feature.

Generally no unless there is some built-in power saving feature and that would depend on the model.

My somewhat expensive LG 47LH90 LED backlit HDTV does not have that feature. Even something like an expensive Sony XBR6 series does not have that feature.

My XBR4 does have that feature. You have to be plug in through VGA but it does have it.

Hmm, ok. I was wondering if I plugged it in through vga if it might work. I should try it out, although all my VGA cords are short. Hopefully that are long enough. Thanks.

If you put the HTPC to sleep/turn off the TV should get a signal thanks to HDMI-CEC to turn off the display. I know for a fact Samsung models after 2007 support this.
What model TV is it

There aren't any video cards that support HDMI-CEC yet.

If your tv doesn't turn off after a certain amount of time while getting a video signal then you'll just have to do it manually.

I'd look for some utility or task (might be available in win7/vista) that would allow you to run a script when the before the monitor is powered off and before it's powered back on.

I'm thinking something like this:

Windows is idle for 20 minutes. This program, script, or whatever detects that windows is attempting to power down the monitor so it executs. The script sends IR commands from an IR blaster to the TV that powers it down. It then shuts down the monitor (which technically doesn't work becuase it's the TV, but the script took care of powering it off).

Windows detects a "wake up" event. The script is launched and sends a power on signal through the IR blaster.

Not sure if it's possible, but it's something you could look for. Maybe you could even tie it to the screen saver and put the screen saver on after 20 minutes?

I agree with Demon: IR blaster may be the best bet. I know my old Westinghouse 42" could be set to turn off after so many minutes of no signal, but my newer, much more high-end Samsung doesn't have this feature. Go figure.

I just have a regular sleep timer. I am not sure what the model of TV, I'll have to look later. My TV has never turned off on it's own though. So I am thinking I may be SOL. Which isn't too big of a deal, but a nice feature if I could. Just trying to use as little power with this set up as I can.

If you put the HTPC to sleep/turn off the TV should get a signal thanks to HDMI-CEC to turn off the display. I know for a fact Samsung models after 2007 support this.
What model TV is it

My TV model is a LN37A330. It is a 2008 model I believe. Doesn't turn off though.

try looking for a screensaver that will run a program in the background. then look for a program that can send a serial signal. Most TV's have a serial port for automation and can receive a signal to turn the tv off. If you pc does not have a serial port, get a usb to serial converter.

My cheap Norcent 37" 720p TV turns off when there is no signal coming in on the VGA or HDMI after a few minutes. However, my Samsung 47" 650 series TV does not. However, the Samsung does support the HDMI-CEC spec, and if I set my Sony receiver to send a shut off signal when I turn it off, it is suppose to turn the TV off too.

My HTPC stays on 24/7 anyways. I just don't trust Windows and Sleep Mode - I don't want to come back and find out it never woke up and miss Heroes!

Back