Can you invoke Aero on Windows 8?

CoreStoffer

Limp Gawd
OK, I know this might sound as a weird wish, but please hear me out.

As a part of my job I need to make screen dumps of different programs and it has to look like it is done in the Windows 7 environment. This means that dialog boxes and program frames etc needs that nice translucent look.

I understand that Aero is officially killed in Windows 8, but does anybody know whether the Windows 7 look can be invoked / enabled by some semi-hidden check box or the like? Or is it gone to oblivion for good? :confused:

I should probably clarify that it is the Glass effect that I'm after.

Last edited:
Aero glass is gone but Aero Desktop is still alive and kicking. (Always will be too.) However, why not just install Windows 7 on a separate partition and do your work there?:confused:

Aero glass is gone but Aero Desktop is still alive and kicking. (Always will be too.) However, why not just install Windows 7 on a separate partition and do your work there?:confused:

Yeah, that might be an option, but my OS drive is just an Intel 80 GB, so two OS's with programs wont cut it on that one. Ah well, First World problems, arn't they? :D

What exactly are you doing that requires you to do this?

If we know a bit more about your situation and needs we might be able to offer you more solutions, although the easiest solution(and the best) is to not ever, ever install Win8. Ever.

If I had to guess, OP is making documentation for users. If the window decoration doesn't look exactly on the screen like it does in the documentation, user panics and head explodes.

What exactly are you doing that requires you to do this?

If we know a bit more about your situation and needs we might be able to offer you more solutions, although the easiest solution(and the best) is to not ever, ever install Win8. Ever.

It's working fine for me. New UI is more efficient, technical improvements are great, very fast, etc. But if you think it's a bad OS, I guess I'll go uninstall. /sarcasm.

OK keep in mind, the transparency and name "AERO" is gone, hardware accelerated UI is nothing but improved.

So when you ask for "AERO" what are you asking for, transparency?

If I had to guess, OP is making documentation for users. If the window decoration doesn't look exactly on the screen like it does in the documentation, user panics and head explodes.

Thanks, this is exactly the "issue". :eek:

It might not be a big issue after all, I justed wanted to have a clear idea of the drawbacks from upgrading to Windows 8. The thing is that I also have an upcoming project covering Windows 8, but maybe I can just borrow a laptop to get that done.

I would like to thank everybody for your replies. Much appreciated. :)

OK keep in mind, the transparency and name "AERO" is gone, hardware accelerated UI is nothing but improved.

So when you ask for "AERO" what are you asking for, transparency?

Jep, that cool transparency effect. Call me old fashion, but I like it. ;)

Back