Can you guys tell me how iphone warrantys work?

deathhorse

[H]ard|Gawd
I got a phone from a friend its dead and it has a full warranty. Do i just take it into apple store and say hey can you guys fix this?

its a iphone se and its getting no power i dont know why maybe water damaged. Friend at work gave it to me he said fix it and keep it. Was going to give it to my daughter.

Thanks

Apple will triage the phone at the store and may open the device. There are ways they can tell if it's water damage, and if it is that immediately voids the warranty and isn't covered by AppleCare.

Apple will triage the phone at the store and may open the device. There are ways they can tell if it's water damage, and if it is that immediately voids the warranty and isn't covered by AppleCare.
AppleCare covers water damage, with a deductible, the standard 1 year warranty does not.

Looks like they changed the pricing, giving screens a lower price and other damage is $99.
It used to be $49 for anything, then $79, now it's $29 and $99.
AppleCare+ provides repair or replacement coverage, both parts and labor, from Apple-authorized technicians. Service coverage includes the following:

• Your iPhone
  • Battery1
  • Included earphones and accessories
  • Coverage for up to two incidents of accidental damage,2 each subject to a service fee of $29 for screen damage, or $99 for any other damage, plus applicable tax

If there is no signs of water damage or physical damage, they should swap it out under the normal 1 year warranty at no cost since the phone is under 5 months old.

It wont cost you anything other than time to have it looked at. Might as well walk in tell them the truth and see what they can do for you. Might have to have your friend sign into icloud and remove the device from find my iphone or give you the icloud credentials to have it done.

It wont cost you anything other than time to have it looked at. Might as well walk in tell them the truth and see what they can do for you. Might have to have your friend sign into icloud and remove the device from find my iphone or give you the icloud credentials to have it done.

I wouldn't tell them jack. Let them figure it out.

I wouldn't tell them jack. Let them figure it out.
Terrible advice. If the device is locked to his friend's icloud account Apple will know as soon as they pull it up in their system and not help him.

Have the friend make sure the device is de-paired from his icloud account. If the device is dead due to no fault of your own they will replace it free of charge. If it died due to water damage you're screwed unless it has applecare.

Terrible advice. If the device is locked to his friend's icloud account Apple will know as soon as they pull it up in their system and not help him.

Have the friend make sure the device is de-paired from his icloud account. If the device is dead due to no fault of your own they will replace it free of charge. If it died due to water damage you're screwed unless it has applecare.

Nah. OP says it's dead, not locked.

So it is locked on his friend's account and he tells them. Do you think that will make any difference at all? Just because he tells them, will they believe him and unlock it?

Edit. His friend would have to deactivate the phone or bring the phone in himself no matter what.

Seriously. How does it benefit him to tell Apple that information? That's a direct question to you.

the phone does need to be removed from the iCloud account though, otherwise the phone won't be usable to anyone except the iCloud account holder.

Nah. OP says it's dead, not locked.

So it is locked on his friend's account and he tells them. Do you think that will make any difference at all? Just because he tells them, will they believe him and unlock it?

Edit. His friend would have to deactivate the phone or bring the phone in himself no matter what.

Seriously. How does it benefit him to tell Apple that information? That's a direct question to you.

Because it's their process. When you take the phone in they will pull up the serial number and see that it isn't his.

Simple shit man. Just because the phone is dead doesn't mean they don't perform this check before replacing the phone or doing anything to it under warranty. Otherwise thieves could just bypass the whole icloud activation lock by just bringing in destroyed phones to Apple for warranty replacements.

His friend can visit icloud.com and remove the phone from his icloud account if it isn't already.

Because it's their process. When you take the phone in they will pull up the serial number and see that it isn't his.

Simple shit man. Just because the phone is dead doesn't mean they don't perform this check before replacing the phone or doing anything to it under warranty. Otherwise thieves could just bypass the whole icloud activation lock by just bringing in destroyed phones to Apple for warranty replacements.

His friend can visit icloud.com and remove the phone from his icloud account if it isn't already.

Once again I ask. How will telling Apple help him? It's a simple and direct question.

It won't help him. In my experience, telling them is just one more box they can check on the "can we fuck this guy over" list.

Reactions: Liver
like this

It won't help him. In my experience, telling them is just one more box they can check on the "can we fuck this guy over" list.

It was deemed a terrible idea. Just wanted to know why.

If an iPhone is locked on someone's account, Apple won't do anything to help you. Even if you are the FBI.

Back