Can you get Win 7 SP1 as a stand alone file?

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
If not, does Windows update allows me to manually choose SP1 WITHOUT grabbing all those other current updates? In short, I'm only interested in SP1

If you need to do a lot of clean installs and apply SP1, there's also a slipstreamed ISO available from somewhere on Microsoft's site. I've only seen it through MSDNAA though.

The streamlined ISO is through Technet as well. Most people on here agree that just as long as the license is legal, the method to get the ISO doesn't matter.

If not, does Windows update allows me to manually choose SP1 WITHOUT grabbing all those other current updates? In short, I'm only interested in SP1

Hi, Happy Hopping,

You can find out everything you need to know about downloading and install SP1 in the Microsoft article "Learn how to install Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1)."

There are certain updates that must be installed before SP1 can be installed so make sure they have been, or your SP1 installation will fail.

Hope this helps.

Chuklr

Hi, Happy Hopping,

There are certain updates that must be installed before SP1 can be installed so make sure they have been, or your SP1 installation will fail.

Hope this helps.

Chuklr

What exactly would those update be? Because I'm at Microsoft win 7 sys. requirement for the Sp1 web site right now, it says:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=5842#system-requirements
System requirements

Supported Operating Systems: Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2

so i download the Win 7 for 32 bit but I haven't install it yet

=================================

thanks every1 for the links and tips

thank you to both of you. Microsoft never cease to amuse me. They should have the link you provided under the link of that SP1 sys. requirement

Is there any other download needed prior for SP1 on top of KB2533552?

thank you to both of you. Microsoft never cease to amuse me. They should have the link you provided under the link of that SP1 sys. requirement

Scroll up on that page, and you will see "This article, KB 2505743, provides some suggestions to improve your experience when you install Windows 7 SP1 from the Microsoft Download Center Web site."

When you go to KB 2505743, you will find in Step 3:

"Ensure that all Windows Updates are installed(other than Windows 7 SP1) , This ensures that all other components are up to date
Install Windows Updates KB2454826, KB2534366, and KB2533552 (these updates will improve a successful installation of the service pack)"

You are not saving yourself much effort by avoiding updating using Microsoft Update. Why is that a problem for you?

If you're worried about having a lot of junk on the system, just delete your C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Downloads folder after patching the files in for SP1.

If you're worried about having a lot of junk on the system, just delete your C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Downloads folder after patching the files in for SP1.

you can also run a disk cleanup and "Cleanup System Files," which can clear out a lot of the SP1 backup files.

I always thought when they introduce a new update, it can cause something else in the sys. to fail or introduce another bug. So they fix 1 bug and create another

For e.g., last year, there is an update, and totally kill Zone Alarm, all the people who use Zone Alarm got kill from that "update"

as another e.g: KB2454826, and this file is needed for the SP1

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...er-after/44354a12-370b-4d48-ac46-39b462f2f212

Last edited:
If you're leaving patches uninstalled, you're leaving your system vulnerable. Just turn on automatic updates and be done with it.

Back