Can xeon 5520 perform well in Handbrake and what is Intel® Quick Sync Video?

bitibomer

Weaksauce
I just bought a Xeon 5520 and i want to use it in handbrake. And my uncle said that i need Intel® Quick Sync Video for it to perform well in handbrake.

short answer: nope.

Quick sync is implemented to Sandy Bridge and newer Processors. Haswell and newer processors also received an improved quality of quick sync.. which was again improved with skylake adding native H.265/HEVC 8 bit encoding/decoding.

quick sync video is intel's name for their hardware encoder and supporting driver for windows.
It is faster but lesser quality than doing a cpu encode with higher quality settings.
I do cpu encoding on machines a lot slower than a Xeon 5520.
Just set them to batch process and go to bed.

then can xeon 5520 perform well in gaming(gtx 750ti videocard) and some handbrake use?

with a GTX 750Ti yes.. you will be fine even at stock speed. but overclocking is advised as the stock speed of those chips are pretty low.. it will improve noticeably the handbrake performance

with a GTX 750Ti yes.. you will be fine even at stock speed. but overclocking is advised as the stock speed of those chips are pretty low.. it will improve noticeably the handbrake performance
thanks

Not to piss on your parade....but how cheap was this cpu? the 32nm 6 core variants are really not to much and way more powerful...just saying......had no idea people were intentionally still buying Nehalems which the rest of us tossed in a drawer...course i guess 5 bucks is hard to beat:)

Last edited:
Not to piss on your parade....but how cheap was this cpu? the 32nm 6 core variants are really not to much and way more powerful...just saying......had no idea people were intentionally still buying Nehalems which the rest of us tossed in a drawer...course i guess 5 bucks is hard to beat:)
i got the xeon 5504 for 6 dollars and 5520 for 14

Back