Can X-FI do Dolby Digital Live out?

NACZ3

Gawd
I've looked at the reviews and Creative's site info and am unclear on whether the X-Fi can do Dolby Digital Live. I'm looking at purely connecting the digital out to a Dolby Digital/DTS Receiver or to the Logtiech 5500s digital input. Will the X-FI convert it's EAX effects into a Dolby Digital stream for output or will it only do EAX and it's mulit-channel for the analog outs on the card itself.

From my reading, the back of the card has a SPDIF jack but can only be selected to input or output? Is this correct? Am I correct in saying that in order to have an digital input and output separately, then I will need an X-Fi with the breakout box?

the x-fi will only decode dolby or pass it through if the source is already encoded in dolby.
the x-fi will not convert/encode eax to dolby.

NACZ3 said:
I've looked at the reviews and Creative's site info and am unclear on whether the X-Fi can do Dolby Digital Live. I'm looking at purely connecting the digital out to a Dolby Digital/DTS Receiver or to the Logtiech 5500s digital input. Will the X-FI convert it's EAX effects into a Dolby Digital stream for output or will it only do EAX and it's mulit-channel for the analog outs on the card itself.

From my reading, the back of the card has a SPDIF jack but can only be selected to input or output? Is this correct? Am I correct in saying that in order to have an digital input and output separately, then I will need an X-Fi with the breakout box?

Not straight from the card. Even if you bypass, you only get two channel. However, you can add a DTS-610 for $99 and do Dolby DIgital Live.
Donnie27

For the prices and capability that Creative is charging and claiming for the X-Fi. The feature of DD live should've been built into the card, especially with setup''s like the Logitech 5500 that have a digital input. 99 bucks extra for the DD Live box, or edit "DTS live" rather is a rip.

In the case of a digital connection to the 5500's witht the X-FI, all the end user is getting is a matrixed stereo signal instead of an EAX signal decoded to a 5.1.

Note that the box converts analog/PCM into DTS, not Dolby- I'll leave the implications of that difference up to the better informed.

i think more importantly is that its probably not worth 100$...

i think in the other thread it was stated that the problem with that box is that you do a Digital -> Analogue -> Digitial -> Analogue double conversion..

where the real benefit from the DDL is that you just do a single conversion, Digital (DDL Sound card) to Analogue (By Receiver/speakers)..

i was semi excited about the DTS box too until i started to really think about what it was really doing..

the only place i concluded it would be worth it is if your receiver/digital speakers don't have the 6 channel analogue inputs.. other wise i would think it would just be better to use your 6 analogue outputs rather than do multiple digital to analogue conversions.

Out of curiosity, is DDL something CL might be able to enable with future sw on the X-fi cards or does DDL require more HW than is on the card? Just curious

H-street said:
i think in the other thread it was stated that the problem with that box is that you do a Digital -> Analogue -> Digitial -> Analogue double conversion..

imo, with computer grade speakers, as long as the dacs aren't complete crap, you'd never be able to tell there was a double conversion...

NACZ3 said:
For the prices and capability that Creative is charging and claiming for the X-Fi. The feature of DD live should've been built into the card, especially with setup''s like the Logitech 5500 that have a digital input. 99 bucks extra for the DD Live box, or edit "DTS live" rather is a rip.

In the case of a digital connection to the 5500's witht the X-FI, all the end user is getting is a matrixed stereo signal instead of an EAX signal decoded to a 5.1.

WOW, that one got jumpped. So is there a great difference between DTS and DDL? If all the people correcting me please tell me which is more lossy?

The Creative cards only send an enhanced Two Channel signal through SPDIF. Even in if its asked to send a RAW signal, it is still two channel. No DDL or DTS even with the RAW signal. Now, receivers can matrix or expand this sound virtual surround sound (Sucks). Neo6 call fool ya' but once compare to the real thing, it's nothing either.

If you guys want to talk value, then how much would the CMedia based HDA-M cost if it had an MLP Chip and a real Audio Processor instead of passing off those duties to the Processor? Even if the card only had a cheaper Audigy 2 ZS processor and all the same Opamps and DACs, you think it would still cost $99?

Donnie27

H-street said:
i think more importantly is that its probably not worth 100$...

where the real benefit from the DDL is that you just do a single conversion, Digital (DDL Sound card) to Analogue (By Receiver/speakers)..

i was semi excited about the DTS box too until i started to really think about what it was really doing..

the only place i concluded it would be worth it is if your receiver/digital speakers don't have the 6 channel analogue inputs.. other wise i would think it would just be better to use your 6 analogue outputs rather than do multiple digital to analogue conversions.

I'm now using the overpriced X-Fi and even without DDL, it ROCKS! Even my Dinky old Pioneer VSX-D711 almost never sounded this good. Now I'm looking at getting something that can do 192/24 stereo since mine is limited to 96/24.

Donnie27

IdiotInCharge said:
Note that the box converts analog/PCM into DTS, not Dolby- I'll leave the implications of that difference up to the better informed.

The BOX converts hardware processed analog/PCM into DTS but that's nit picking. Now leave the implications of that difference to the better informed LOL! Yes, I shouldn't have called DTS, DDL. But the correction was already made before you posted.

Donnie27

ccotenj said:
imo, with computer grade speakers, as long as the dacs aren't complete crap, you'd never be able to tell there was a double conversion...

but i think that was kindof the point i was trying to make..

why pay 100$ for something you won't even notice (and or need)..

like i said, unless you have a digital setup with no way of connecting 6 analogue inputs.. (which most computer speakers have 6 analogue inputs)..

really the only group this would most likely be worth anything are people with receivers that only have a digital input for their 5.1.. i know my old receiver doesn't have the 6channel input but i'm not using that for the comp.

however, some receivers, when set to 6ch direct input, you can use any of the other features.

ex) tone in/out for bass/treble adjustment on the machine
ex) different surround modes

for my hk avr-130 when i'm in 6ch direct input, i am only limited to adjusting the volume. thats about it

so the creative solution is a welcome change. since it allows me to use all the features on my receiver

Xeero said:
however, some receivers, when set to 6ch direct input, you can use any of the other features.

ex) tone in/out for bass/treble adjustment on the machine
ex) different surround modes

for my hk avr-130 when i'm in 6ch direct input, i am only limited to adjusting the volume. thats about it

so the creative solution is a welcome change. since it allows me to use all the features on my receiver
Hm....what different surround modes are you going to use with DTS? You mean like "concert hall" and "jazz club" and the like? You can change these settings in Creative's control panel, and just pass the analog signal straight to the 6-ch input on the receiver.

H-street said:
but i think that was kindof the point i was trying to make..

why pay 100$ for something you won't even notice (and or need)..

like i said, unless you have a digital setup with no way of connecting 6 analogue inputs.. (which most computer speakers have 6 analogue inputs)..

really the only group this would most likely be worth anything are people with receivers that only have a digital input for their 5.1.. i know my old receiver doesn't have the 6channel input but i'm not using that for the comp.

Mine and most of the ones I've seen does have the Surround Sound Analog Inputs for component 5.1. My older receiver is a Pioneer 711 and Technics have Analog inputs. Others, older than that, lack other features that make them unwanted as well. Example. I'd like to replace my older model with something that has DACs that can do24bit/192kHz Stereo, any ideas?

Epinions search for Analog Inputs

Even the best Klipsch and Logitechs doesn't cut it for me any more. I'd move to headphones first. So I have my X-Fi connected the same way the Audigy 2 ZS was connected before it. Even my old Philips HP 890s now sound good (they were a gift, I didn't pick them). I wouldn't pay the extra $99 for the DTS-610.

Donnie

well I'm gonna try it and see how it goes. I'll give you guys a mini review when its available

Xeero said:
well I'm gonna try it and see how it goes. I'll give you guys a mini review when its available

awesome, (always good to have some one willing to take the punge :) )..

something i would be interested in if the 43ms (or whatever it was rated at) delay is noticeable..

if you do have a 6channel analogue input device a comparison between using the DTS and the 6channel would be nice

:)

bratboy said:
Out of curiosity, is DDL something CL might be able to enable with future sw on the X-fi cards or does DDL require more HW than is on the card? Just curious

Given CL's reputation for slapping a new badge on an old product to generate more sales(Audigy 2ZS), I'd say this isn't going to happen soon. Plus, they'd have to pay dolby rights for all the cards they are enabling this feature on, which isn't likely either. They might introduce a 'Dolby Live' version in a few more months, but I hate to think what the price would be...

darkpark said:
the x-fi will only decode dolby or pass it through if the source is already encoded in dolby.
the x-fi will not convert/encode eax to dolby.

How do I tell that the source is already encoded in Dolby?

DVDs will be in dolby and possibly DTS. To see if an avi file has dolby AC3 audio, use gspot

Back