Can Windows 7 or 8.1 be installed on Rizen / X370? M.2 PCI Express?

westrock2000

[H]F Junkie
I'm looking to update my system and looking at the Rizen 1700. I have a bunch of Windows 7 and 8.1 licenses from the Technet days. My dad did a 1700 build a couple months ago and his setup wouldn't allow the keyboard/mouse to work (even with PS/2) so he just got a Windows 10 license.

Is Windows 8.1 better at bootup with Rizen? All I want to be able to do is get to the Windows 10 upgrade part and then do a clean install windows 10.

Also if I try to install on M.2 (looking at the Intel P600 specifically which is PCI-express) will Windows 7 and 8.1 see that? Does the motherboard present it as a standard SATA storage device or do you have to have M.2 PCI Express specific drivers in the OS to read it?

Yes, it works just fine. Make an ISO with the NVMe and USB 3.0/3.1 drivers, use WSUS offline updating, disable auto updates so it doesn't nag you about 10.

Is Windows 8.1 better at bootup with Rizen? All I want to be able to do is get to the Windows 10 upgrade part and then do a clean install windows 10.

Do a clean Windows 10 install, skip the key, once it is online, put in the 7/8.1 key, it will activate. MS stopped advertising it, but it still works as of a few weeks ago.

Do a clean Windows 10 install, skip the key, once it is online, put in the 7/8.1 key, it will activate. MS stopped advertising it, but it still works as of a few weeks ago.

Totally agree

It still works especially with old technet keys which are basically full retail keys.

No problem, it's just like on Skylake / Kabylake systems.
Slipstream in the extra drivers, and you're set.

For the love of God, please make sure you at least get the March 2017 security rollup
(patches the SMB vulnerability that WannaCry exploits)

Oh wow, I didn't realize you could skip straight to Windows 10 activation! Thanks so much!!!

Back