Can We Publicly Confess to Online Piracy Crimes?

HardOCP News

[H] News
So, the question here is why is it okay for this guy to pirate stuff but it's not okay for everyone else?

Last week The Expendables 3 leaked online and thousands shared it illegally. While most sat in the shadows, David Pierce, an editor at The Verge, admitted to engaging in what amounts to the criminal distribution of an unreleased copyright work. Is it now OK to confess to jailable offenses as long as they're piracy-related?

They still need something corroborating even if he "confesses". People say they did things they didn't do all the time. He could just be an attention whore. Likely he is.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if his claim that he's going to see it in theaters is BS. Most of the time people do not pay for something they already took for free.

They still need something corroborating even if he "confesses". People say they did things they didn't do all the time. He could just be an attention whore. Likely he is.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if his claim that he's going to see it in theaters is BS. Most of the time people do not pay for something they already took for free.

No they don't.

These are always civil court settlements, not criminal. All they need to to persuade a judge "it is more likely than not".

They don't even need a judge. All they do is harass someone, threaten them, and then tie them up in endless court battles, most people can't afford the legal fees or give up.

This is how our legal system works, it rewards the bigger bully, never mind right or wrong.

Oh yes, screeners/cams are definitely a valid replacement for theater screens :p:D

He already has a piracy "settlement" in his inbox.
Yeah, some years back someone famous (maybe an athlete) admitted to having a direcTV card to get all the channels for free or what not on the Howard Stern show (or one of those types of radio shows) and very shortly after DirecTV sent a not so nice letter to him

Sharing is perfectly fine. Its when people try to sell dvds and all that that its bad. In a lot of countries its legal to share files. Nothing wrong with sharing. Hand a friend a copy of your favorite music cd and its fine so why not online. CDR, DVDR, and the rest weren't invented just for original content thats for sure. Sharing is caring :cool:

Jailable? It's not a criminal offense.

RTFA. It is plausible that someone could be jailed for up to three years for doing what Pierce admitted to, under the Family Entertainment and Copyright Act of 2005. I doubt that the law was intended to apply to Joe Torrent Client as opposed to the person leaking it to the scene, but the letter of the law allows it to be applied to anyone making the movie available.

"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others"

Bill Clinton was caught on tape buying Cuban Cigars, but he's a big time Democrat so he's allowed to get away with it.

David Gregory a liberal at NBC was waving around a 30 round magazine on the air which is illegal in Washington DC, but no chance he'd be charged with violating the law; he's a left wing propagandist.

Sharing is perfectly fine. Its when people try to sell dvds and all that that its bad. In a lot of countries its legal to share files. Nothing wrong with sharing. Hand a friend a copy of your favorite music cd and its fine so why not online. CDR, DVDR, and the rest weren't invented just for original content thats for sure. Sharing is caring :cool:

Online is the no no because in person, you might give a copy of that cd to 5 people you know with similar taste to yours. Once you start seeding you're giving it away to an uncountable number.
Though if you think about it, is seeding copyright infringement?
Its not like you're transferring through IRC where you're giving someone a full copy, you're distributing random 20 second clips among thousands of downloaders, you didn't give a full or probably even half of that file to any one person. Trailers freely posted on YouTube are longer than that. When you post a link to a trailer from your Facebook account you're giving more video to individuals than the amount you seeded to any one person.
I wonder if there could be something to that as an out....?;)

HA! funny thing is, Expendables 3 isnt worth pirating in the first place :D
I remember when i was in Abu Dhabi, back in 91, picked up some bootleg tapes, and some pretty good quality dubs. I think i still have them somewhere. Pirating is a huge business over seas for sure.

I remember when i was in Abu Dhabi, back in 91, picked up some bootleg tapes, and some pretty good quality dubs. I think i still have them somewhere. Pirating is a huge business over seas for sure.

All the Mexican stores in my area have pirated DVD's. Either already released to home video or still in theater. The theater rips are obvious cam's, some with hard coded subs (some in Spanish, some in Chinese)... Not sure what the source is, but they are pretty prevalent out here. No ones ever been busted...

The trick is that as long as no one presses charges there is not a whole lot the cops can do.

How does anyone know that the movie is copywrited? It hasnt came out yet and you can watch the entire movie and not see a copywrite notification.

I thought it was just a really good cgi fan fiction when i was given it.

Back