can we have a discussion about GPU pricing?

HAL_404

[H]ard|Gawd
I don't understand why a Used 3+ year old GTX 1070 with no warranty still sells on eBay (as well as here at [H] and elsewhere) for $200+ (most I've viewed are priced $220 or higher) when a brand new GTX 1660 Ti which is slightly faster and definitely uses less power / runs cooler sells with a 3 year warranty for $269 ???

Why would anyone buy a used GTX 1070 over a new GTX 1660 Ti ?

I don't understand why a Used 3+ year old GTX 1070 with no warranty still sells on eBay (as well as here at [H] and elsewhere) for $200+ (most I've viewed are priced $220 or higher) when a brand new GTX 1660 Ti which is slightly faster and definitely uses less power / runs cooler sells with a 3 year warranty for $269 ???

I sold my GTX1070 for $350 just a few months back. Pretty much what I paid for it. :D:D;);)

These prices bode well for me since I received my Nitro+ 5700XT a couple days ago to replace my Asus Strix 1080Ti. I'll sell the 1080Ti and recoup most, if not all the cost of replacing it.

people are dumb and keep paying it.

These prices bode well for me since I received my Nitro+ 5700XT a couple days ago to replace my Asus Strix 1080Ti. I'll sell the 1080Ti and recoup most, if not all the cost of replacing it.
Ew, why did you downgrade?

You do realize that the 1080Ti is about 25% faster, right?

Problem is people do not understand the concept of depreciation and sell on emotion.

Ever wonder why retailers charge a restocking fee it covers depreciation. Once item is sold it cannot be sold as new again. For example,I buy a car it leaves lot, it loses value immediately.

GPU and CPUs are no different. We as a company help our disaster struck customers with insurance claims, rarely do they get full reimbursement even with a bill of sale.

I have a relative with a Million dollar Roll Royce limo it depreciated to 500K in two years ylikes.

In 2017-2018 due to bitcoin mining videocards (mostly GTX 10 series and RX400 series) were selling way, way, way above retail. So the "retail" price of these cards is really good for people who had to spend a crazy amount a year or so ago.

I stuck with my GTX 1060 founders for ages because of this.

Also people who were mining are trying to make SOME profit off these cards after mining no longer became viable.

I'm sure there's a better graph available, but I do remember it being something like this.
chartoftheday_15843_nvidia_and_radeon_gpu_pricing_n.jpg

Same with memory:
trend.ram.288dimm.ddr4_3000.2x8192.647b0ac037ff9d4fe71cc3a659db5fbe.png

Not to mention stagnation on the CPU side of things right before this.

So a lot of people are finally building new computers due to lowered RAM, CPU and SSD costs, but the newest hottest videocards are still crazy expensive retail, so the aftermarket market is still looking good.

Eh? The 5700xt and 1080 Ti are about equal. I wouldn't call it a down grade. Not even a side grade tbh in most games.
Every benchmark I've seen has the 1080ti at about a 10-20% better performance. Looks very particular by game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Auer
like this
Every benchmark I've seen has the 1080ti at about a 10-20% better performance. Looks very particular by game.

You do realize that the 1080Ti is about 25% faster, right?

Where are you getting those numbers from? In the latest high-end GPU review on techpowerup, a reference 1080ti is only about 5% faster than a reference 5700 XT.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/xfx-radeon-rx-5700-xt-thicc-iii-ultra/28.html

Now if you overclock both cards then the 1080ti will pull away even more as it has more overclocking headroom.

Last edited:
Where are you getting those numbers from? In the latest high-end GPU review on techpowerup, a reference 1080ti is only about 5% faster than a reference 5700 XT.
https://www.techspot.com/review/1907-geforce-1080-ti-vs-rtx-2070-super-vs-radeon-5700-xt/

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1080-Ti-vs-AMD-RX-5700-XT/3918vs4045

Hell, even TechPowerup from just 2 months ago:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/msi-radeon-rx-5700-xt-gaming-x/27.html

index.png

etc.

However, on that particular benchmark(s) you posted, the 5700XT does look quite nice.
I'm guessing driver improvements have been very noticeable? I haven't kept up.

I’d rather buy the used card and save the $70. That’s a savings of about 2 full games. If the gpu made it this long, it’s probably going to last a while as the bad batch cards would have already shown themselves. Power use differential is probably equivalent to using one less lightbulb, so whatever imo (assuming you already have a psu capable). Heat and noise could be a factor for some. The higher echelon cards have a greater potential for having fitting waterblocks which would influence me more.

Perspective. If you’re on a tight budget, the 1070 is buying a capable card and having enough left to buy a game worthy of playing on it.

Less vram by far on the 5700xt VS 1080Ti.

Unlike you, I don't believe my old gaming rig, re-purposed to be a domain controller, needs that much VRAM. But that's just me. Feel free to build yours with a Titan RTX if you wish. I'm not here to piss in your Corn Flakes.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1907-geforce-1080-ti-vs-rtx-2070-super-vs-radeon-5700-xt/

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1080-Ti-vs-AMD-RX-5700-XT/3918vs4045

Hell, even TechPowerup from just 2 months ago:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/msi-radeon-rx-5700-xt-gaming-x/27.html

View attachment 201375

etc.

However, on that particular benchmark(s) you posted, the 5700XT does look quite nice.
I'm guessing driver improvements have been very noticeable? I haven't kept up.
Canned benchmark versus real games, hmm...

Still, you take the 1080 Ti and 5700 XT scores, you get (9521 - 8855) / 8855 = +7.52% to the 1080 Ti.

I also don't think you're reading those charts right. The only place giving a >25% delta is User Benchmark, and I have no idea how that is calculated, but seems pretty useless.

Never mind, found it:
upload_2019-11-21_12-44-1.png

So even more useless benchmarks when it comes to actual game performance.

Still, you take the 1080 Ti and 5700 XT scores, you get (9521 - 8855) / 8855 = +7.52% to the 1080 Ti.

I also don't think you're reading those charts right. The only place giving a >25% delta is User Benchmark, and I have no idea how that is calculated, but seems pretty useless.

Never mind, found it:
View attachment 201433

Userbenchmark are the most worthless benchmarks out there.

Last edited:
I sold my GTX1070 for $350 just a few months back. Pretty much what I paid for it. :D:D;);)
I just sold a launch 1080ti for 450 locally. I didn’t want to go rtx, but on the edge of new cards releasing I figured this was a safe bet.
Turned around and got a 2080 super for less than $500. Not too bad. Micro center open box deal, but tested with warranty. Someone else’s buyer remorse saved me $200 and I still got a free game and the $30 rebate with it!

Last edited:
I just sold a launch 1080ti for 450 locally. I didn’t want to go rtx, but on the edge of new cards releasing I figured this was a safe bet.
Turned around and got a 1080 super for less than $500. Not too bad. Micro center open box deal, but tested with warranty. Someone else’s buyer remorse saved me $200 and I still got a free game and the $30 rebate with it!
isnt that a slight downgrade and loss of $20?!

if ebay pricing means what i think it does i've only "lost" 300 dollars value in the pair of 1080's

still worth damn near over 1000 CAD

Never mind, found it:
View attachment 201433

not sure what you're talking bout i'm always playing 3dmark timespy.

Actually no. And you missed the point about on the edge of new cards being released. I am relatively sure once any new high end card is announced, the 1080ti’s that are left are going to very quickly drop in value.

Actually no. And you missed the point about on the edge of new cards being released. I am relatively sure once any new high end card is announced, the 1080ti’s that are left are going to very quickly drop in value.
So will the 5700xt. Cause it is newer doesn't make it more valuable. The 1080ti probably hold higher value for longer honestly.

I am assuming you know that he meant 2080 super and if so then I guess you haven't been looking at any recent reviews. Overall the 2080 super is about 20% faster than the 1080ti but in some of the newer more demanding games like Red Dead Redemption and Control it's about 35% faster. Really not much of an upgrade considering how old the 1080ti is and what the prices are but certainly not a downgrade.

I am assuming you know that he meant 2080 super and if so then I guess you haven't been looking at any recent reviews. Overall the 2080 super is about 20% faster than the 1080ti but in some of the newer more demanding games like Red Dead Redemption and Control it's about 35% faster. Really not much of an upgrade considering how old the 1080ti is and what the prices are but certainly not a downgrade.
i was going by what he typed and he didnt correct me but now that i think about there isnt a 1080 super...

So will the 5700xt. Cause it is newer doesn't make it more valuable. The 1080ti probably hold higher value for longer honestly.
Which is why I didn’t sell the 1080ti for a 5700xt. Instead I found an excellent deal on a 2080 super. Less than $50 to go from a old 1080ti to a newer card, was a no brainer. If for no other reason than resell value.

Magen the next gen drops, I’ll undoubtedly make more off this card than I would have a 1080ti had I held on to it.

I'm with OP here on wondering why used video cards are still so expensive.

The release of the 1660 Super means that the GTX 980 Ti and GTX 1070 *should* all go for less (preferably considerably less) than $230.

Especially when one considers things like warranty and efficiency gains (you could just about run a 1660S off of a <400W PSU).

But most 1070s and 980 Tis I see are still either at or just over $200.

I just no longer see the value there.

I'm with OP here on wondering why used video cards are still so expensive.

The release of the 1660 Super means that the GTX 980 Ti and GTX 1070 *should* all go for less (preferably considerably less) than $230.

Especially when one considers things like warranty and efficiency gains (you could just about run a 1660S off of a <400W PSU).

But most 1070s and 980 Tis I see are still either at or just over $200.

I just no longer see the value there.
Not sure about 1070, but on hwswap, I see 980tis go for usually around $175, max $200.

Good to know, but I still question if ~$35-50 savings is worth it considering all the afore mentioned benefits.
Eh, most ppl on hwswap have budgets. That $50 can go a long ways towards something else. Also buying new, even online, usually adds sales tax. It all adds up.

I have to agree that it's about vram size and my last three video cards have been 8Gb models .. as why RX 570 / 580/ 590 still sale new so well.

But to me RX 570 4Gb at $100-119 new is the Holy Grail to a low end gamer needing major upgrades .

I have to agree that it's about vram size and my last three video cards have been 8Gb models .. as why RX 570 / 580/ 590 still sale new so well.

But to me RX 570 4Gb at $100-119 new is the Holy Grail to a low end gamer needing major upgrades .

I've played a lot of games on a lot of GPUs, 3GB, 4GB (or 3.5GB in the case of gtx 970) 6GB and 8GB. I've never hit a VRAM buffer.

I've played a lot of games on a lot of GPUs, 3GB, 4GB (or 3.5GB in the case of gtx 970) 6GB and 8GB. I've never hit a VRAM buffer.
If you think that you never will hit a vram limit on a card with less than 4 gigs then you have no idea what you're talking about or you're not playing modern games with all the settings cranked. It is 100% fact that there are several games that need more than 3 gigs of vram on max settings especially max textures.

Last edited:
Back