Can Virtual PC 2007 use a disk image from another computer?

Mopower

Gawd
I work at a company that has custom billing software. It only runs on Win98. We have one old Win98 machine that is only used for this software. Is it possible to install Virtual PC 2007 on an XP machine. Take a disk image of the Win98 machine. Boot it up in Virtual PC and use the billing software that way? The problem is I don't have an install disc for the billing software. So it would be hard to do a fresh Win98 install in virtual machine and then install this software would it not? Plus all the data that is on the original 98 machine. Is there any way I can do this?

You could prob use true image or ghost or something and make an image of the 98 machine and then restore that image to the virtual pc but you would prob have some work to do with drivers and whatnot. Another option would be like using pc relocator or something to try to copy just that app and use a fresh install. That may or maynot work.

As far as moving the app without doing a reinstall it may be possible. Best people to ask would be the software vendor if they are still around.

I have a few clients running windows 98 virtual pc images running old accounting software. Really helped us out. Haven't moved anyone to 07 yet though.

http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/

You can do that with VMWare, but so far I have yet to find a tool that would convert a real disk to something VirtualPC can use. Perhaps Microsoft is considering such a thing, but we all know VMWare has the widest support base and the largest user community.

For something simple like Win98, VirtualPC is quite literally perfect in ways that even VMWare can't touch (smaller, lighter, less resource intensive, etc), but so far it looks like VMWare's free Virtual Server might be your only option.

There is the possibility that you could convert a real Win98 disk into a VMWare VM using that tool linked above and then using VMWare's VMPlayer (also free) just to access and use the VM you just created during the conversion. That way you'd never have to install Virtual Server in the first place. Worth looking into, I'd say.

Hope this helps...

I'll check out VMWare. I havent used VMWare or Virtual PC before. Guess I have some research to do.

Back