Can video card manufacturers determine whether a card was overclocked?

M'ichal

Limp Gawd
Can video card manufacturers determine whether a card was overclocked or not when it's returned?

Some have claimed in the past that they can, but most don't even try. So if you overclock with the stock heatsink/fan on the card, you're probably ok. However, if you destroy the card, you HAVE voided your warranty.

Overclocking, in most cases, doesn't yield a significant benefit, so unless you're prepared to destroy your card, don't bother with it...and if you do destroy your card, take it like a man, don't try to RMA it.

^eMpTy^ said:
Some have claimed in the past that they can, but most don't even try. So if you overclock with the stock heatsink/fan on the card, you're probably ok. However, if you destroy the card, you HAVE voided your warranty.

Overclocking, in most cases, doesn't yield a significant benefit, so unless you're prepared to destroy your card, don't bother with it...and if you do destroy your card, take it like a man, don't try to RMA it.

Well... that depends. Hows about 28% improvement sound from overclocking most 7900GTs :)

^eMpTy^ said:
Overclocking, in most cases, doesn't yield a significant benefit,
It generally does offer a significant increase. I've never destroyed a card through overclocking, but I don't do volt mods (I did try the 1.5v BIOS on the 7800GT, but it offered very little extra so I flashed back. Same with a 6800GTO I had).

I did happen to test a 7800GT @ stock vs BFG 7800GT OC vs overclocked to 465/1180 and a 7900GT @ stock vs XFX 7900GT Extreme 520/1500 vs overclocked to 545/1750 in several games (the thread is in the nvidia forum).

Overall, the stock overclock on the BFG 7800GT OC gave a 5.65% improvement over 400/1000. Further overclocking it to 465/1180 gave another 8.45% improvement over 425/1050.

For the 7900GT, the stock 520/1500 overclock averaged 9.40% over reference 7900GT 450/1320 speeds. Further overclocking it to 545/1750 gave another 6.19% improvement over 520/1500.

Since even stock 450/1320 7900GT cards are capable of hitting at least 520-530 on the core and 1600 on the memory, a 10-12% improvement is nothing to ignore. There's less headroom for factory overclocked cards, but the improvements can still be significant.

MelchiorZ said:
Well... that depends. Hows about 28% improvement sound from overclocking most 7900GTs :)
I'd say it's more like a 15-20% improvement on average for an overclocked 450/1320 7900GT. ;) That is unless someone does a volt mod.

Well if you volt mod the card then they can tell. If just by overclocking by increasing the core or memory, then it is harder. I have heard that they can go and check to see the last settings. So, if it is dying but you can barely get into windows, then reset to default and chances are, they will not be able to.

If you OC your card to the point of destruction, there is only ONE option...buy a new one and learn your lesson, that means no RMA...period!
you should not OC your card unless you are aware of the consequeces if you yeild great results then thats fantastic, good for you but if you burn and then look to the manufacturer for a free replacement for your ignorance then that is rather shady on your part, before you OC your components you need to realize that you and you alone are responsible for the (if any) destruction, not the manufacturer.

There is an old lady walking thru the forest and she finds a wounded snake and takes it home to help it heal its wounds. after the snake is all healed up and better she lets him go back to the forest, a few days later she is again walking thru the forest and sees the snake again, as she approaches it the snake strikes her with a fatal bite and sends her to heaven. when she gets to the pearly gates she is pleading with st. Peter and god to give her her life back due to her death not being very fair and god says to her, "Lady, you knew that snakes bite, and you knew that a snakes bite could kill you, there fore it is your fault that you died, not the snakes fault. God tells her that he can not help her, and after thinking about it she fully understands and walks thru the gates and hangs out in heaven...the end.

Do you get the moral of the story, there are consequences in OC'ing you components, you and only you are responsible, not the manufacturer.

Sorry if I trailed off with that but think about it and be a man, be an accountable man (or if you are a woman, be a woman).

MelchiorZ said:

The 7900GT represents one of the best overclocking videocards of all time...it can hardly be considered a normal case...

And if you want to overclock it, just get an xfx or an evga that's already overclocked with a warranty...

pxc said:
It generally does offer a significant increase. I've never destroyed a card through overclocking, but I don't do volt mods (I did try the 1.5v BIOS on the 7800GT, but it offered very little extra so I flashed back. Same with a 6800GTO I had).

I did happen to test a 7800GT @ stock vs BFG 7800GT OC vs overclocked to 465/1180 and a 7900GT @ stock vs XFX 7900GT Extreme 520/1500 vs overclocked to 545/1750 in several games (the thread is in the nvidia forum).

Overall, the stock overclock on the BFG 7800GT OC gave a 5.65% improvement over 400/1000. Further overclocking it to 465/1180 gave another 8.45% improvement over 425/1050.

For the 7900GT, the stock 520/1500 overclock averaged 9.40% over reference 7900GT 450/1320 speeds. Further overclocking it to 545/1750 gave another 6.19% improvement over 520/1500.

Since even stock 450/1320 7900GT cards are capable of hitting at least 520-530 on the core and 1600 on the memory, a 10-12% improvement is nothing to ignore. There's less headroom for factory overclocked cards, but the improvements can still be significant.

I'd say it's more like a 15-20% improvement on average for an overclocked 450/1320 7900GT. ;) That is unless someone does a volt mod.

Right, so pay an extra 30 bucks and get a pre-overclocked card...that's all I'm saying

^eMpTy^ said:
Right, so pay an extra 30 bucks and get a pre-overclocked card...that's all I'm saying
I paid $300 shipped for a pre-overclocked XFX 7900GT Extreme. Now stores are just gouging.

My card unlocked and overclocked and provided about a 20% increase in performance. Do not let the fear of frying a card prevent you from overclocking it. If done correctly, you shouldn't have any problems down the road.

Thanks for your insight guys.

The thing with my card is really weird, because it it was working fine for pretty much a year at 570/1150 (vs 500/1000 stock). And a week ago I was playing NFS:Most Wanted at
530/1050 and bam! The screen froze, I restart, go back to the game and there are artifacts. And same in any other 3D game.

The heatsink was pretty dusty though, so I suspect that might be a reason why it screwed up. I pulled chunks of dust from it. You think that might've contributed to a high temp and a burn?

Michal

M'ichal said:
Thanks for your insight guys.

The thing with my card is really weird, because it it was working fine for pretty much a year at 570/1150 (vs 500/1000 stock). And a week ago I was playing NFS:Most Wanted at
530/1050 and bam! The screen froze, I restart, go back to the game and there are artifacts. And same in any other 3D game.

The heatsink was pretty dusty though, so I suspect that might be a reason why it screwed up. I pulled chunks of dust from it. You think that might've contributed to a high temp and a burn?

Michal

Entirely possible...and here is my point...530/1050 gave you practically nothing over the stock speed...all it did was void your warranty

570/1150 (vs 500/1000 stock).

That gives him a 15% increase on Memory and a 14% Increase on core. To most people who WILL NOT have to return there cards, It's worth it.

Back