Can Ubuntu installations freely move between platforms / sockets / cores / treads?

-alias-

Limp Gawd
I accidentally put an Ubuntu 11.10 disk that was set up for an i7 2600K machine in a G34 rig, and it booted perfectly normal without a single error. Since langouste also was installed the installation signed it on f@h and brought down a new WU and started folding as normal.

Is it true that Ubuntu installations can move freely between different sockets and different number of cores / threads?

Should work fine since it'll just detect the new cpu's and chipset at boot and load the proper modules.

You may run into problems if you have some hardware that requires some additional kernel modules or something, but you normally don't. What usually gets me (I do this all of the time with virtual machines) is the need to clear out the old ethx devices so they do not overwrite the current ones. I unfortunately can never remember how between times that I need to do it. It sounds like you do not have this issue, so you are fine.

Not like you have any "anti piracy" mechanism's slowing you down. Like Musky I have copied VM's all over creation and that is painless in the land of Linux. Moving physical disks isn't much harder so long as the hardware is all default in the kernel on both sides.

Linux is good so thank goodness FAH finally saw the light on that one!

On generic kernels, thus most distributions, you will be okay because modules are loaded as hardware is detected at boot. If you built a custom kernel lacking modules/support for hardware on the new system you will have a problem.

Back