Can two modems and two routers be used on one cable connection to your house?

Zellio2009

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a 16 mBit (About to be a 20 mBit) Charter cable connection, a d-link wireless n router, and a motorolla s5101 modem.

I have no logical method to wire upstairs, so upstairs is wireless :rolleyes:. I'd like to wire upstairs, but I have no method to do so. All of my wired stuff is downstairs.

Well on thrusday, charter is coming to add wires for cable tv to one of the upstairs rooms. I got an idea, if it's possible to run two modems off the same basic connection, but different wires (one downstairs, one upstairs), I could wire upstairs with a new router and modem.

Is this possible?

ya you would have to pay for a 2nd connection into the house either way.
why cant you run any cables? even outside in some casing or something?

What do you mean you have no logical reason? Yet you are willing to let Charter staple cables all over the outside of your house? It takes under $100 in supplies and a hour on a weekend. Just run the outside, get a cable color that matches your house color. If you have to, use the same holes the cable runs through.

Ethernet over powerline adapters. Same price as having that 2nd cable connection for 2 months..and it's savings past that 2 month point.

Sometime in early 2007 I ran into a very similar problem. I had Comcast at the time and didn't see a reason as to why they couldn't let me run a second modem with a seperate IP on the same service. After being told, "No, we can't do that." by 4-5 reps at Comcast, I called back and got another rep who said they could. Mind you, it seemed to take the rep a little more time and work but in the end that's exactly what we did. A different modem, different IP and the only additional charge was for the IP. Whether this applies to Charter as well, who knows.

I did this once with comcrap ... back in 2004. I took my cable modem that was registered over to a friends house and put them both into a dual-wan load-balancing router and we were rocking 7+Mb/s download speeds.

In 2004 that was pretty damn awesome.

Back