Can this be done? Wireless and also an internal wired network?

I live right beside my friend. He ALLOWS me to use his wireless network that he has broadcasting in his house. I AM paying him $15 a month to use his internet...

Just wanted to state that so people aren't saying your stealing internet..etc.. bla bla bla...

Anyways. I have 3 computers in my room at the moment and was wondering if I can use my router that I have and turn off the wireless feature and still beable to share files back and forth with MY computers but also get wireless internet from my friend... I tried setting it up yesterday and he tried helping as well but it doesn't seem to work. I can get internet via wireless but even with all the other computers hooked up to my linksys router and the wireless disabled on the router I can not see any of my computers. They are on the same workgroup...

Anyone know if this can be done?

Little diagram to show what I kinda want...

post-36-1111800845.jpg

-Nigel

Make sure you set the Default Gateways, and IP's on the other pcs, and make sure file sharing is enabled...

You could use a router, but you would have to disable DHCP. You'd save money by just getting a small switch or hub.

goalied00d said:
You could use a router, but you would have to disable DHCP. You'd save money by just getting a small switch or hub.

Get a switch... no point in wasting money on a hub

You need to bridge the wireless card and the ethernet card on that machine. You wouldn't use the WAN port on your router and disable DCHP. And just so you know, your not lilly white here. Might be paying him but I would imagine it's still against his providers TOS.

Do the other computers get internet access and you are just not able to see them on your network? or are you unable to see them on the network and they don't get internet via the shared wireless connection? Not sure if you are saying the problem is they can't use the shared wireless or you just can't see them on your network but they do get internet through the shared wireless connection.

Basically seems like a simple job for Internet Connection Sharing.

The other computers DO get wireless internet. They all have onboard lan... I do have a switch, and two different routers, so the hardware isn't a problem.. He has it set so that I can't see his computers and he can't see mine, only when he logs onto his router to see what his network assigned me for the ip address.

I just want to be able to get internet via wireless for the other computers which they can, but also be able to share files through out the room... and another reason is so i can network the one printer so that all 3 computers can print to it. BTW, two of the computers are running xp pro and the other one is on xp home.

Thanks again,
-Nigel

So you goto Network Places and can't see the other computers in the workgroup? Check the firewall settings on the computers.

If you have share folders and a shared printer setup you could just map to the drives using the IP address and add the printer using the ip address. Assign static IP's to make it so the IPs won't change.

Tools -> Map Network Drive ...

\\192.168.1.25\share

If you set up Wireless and Ethernet, just make 2 connections in Network and Internet Connections, the wired one, and then the Wireless one. You'll be able to tell it which one you want as primary, and then you SHOULD be able to isolate the other (wired) network for only file sharing among your computers, and that should do it.

If I disable the DHCP on the router now what should I use as the ip addresses and DNS server, and subnet mask, default gateway?

I'm not seeing where to setup a wired and wireless connection through IE... I go through the setup but I'm a little confused on setting it up so that I still receive the wireless signal but I can also click on my network places and see the three computers in my room using the router that I have or switch..

Edit: I tried do the above and now it does not get an IP address from my friend... this is weird and this seems like it should be simple but it's proving to be hard... Wireless card should receive the wireless signal and take me on the net... internal network in my room for file sharing...hmmm...

Thanks so far :)

-Nigel

[Tripod]MajorPayne said:
You set up the connections through Start > Control Panel > Network and Internet connections.

That's where I am at... I see my wifi connection and lan connections, but I am confused on what I setup as far as settings on the lan...dns, default gateway, ip address..etc

Here is another question, if I am getting an ip address for my wifi connection wouldn't it conflict with the hardwire ip address?

Still confused on how to make this work.

Thanks,
-Nigel

Still can't get anything to work as soon as I plug it into the router or switch... can't get internet and can't see my computers... If I disable the wifi cards, and then set up my router to DHCP I can see all computers on my network that are in the room but now I have lost the internet...

-Nigel

or, you could setup a WAP to act as a gateway device, and hang a linux box behind that acting as a routing agent.... id bet that would work much better and more stable than going from router->pc->router....

sorry to hijack. i have an issue just like this, but i dont feel like starting another thread w/ teh same topic.

i want to connect another wired router in my room to the main wired router downstairs. all of this would be done hardwired. it actually already is wired. its just not working.

i have a netgear 614 v2. router (dont remember exact model number) and a linksys/network everywhere NR041 in my room. i need to connect 2 computers to the linksys, and connect the linksys to the netgear, and be able to have internet/network access.

do i need a crossover cable, or will a standard CAT5e cable running from port 3 on the netgear to the WAN port on the linksys work? cause i dont want all of my work gone to waste... :(

and if i can use standard CAT5e, what do i need to do to configure this and have it working?

You wouldn't use the WAN port period. The second device in that scenario would only use the LAN side, the switch. Whether or not you need a X-over depends on if the ports are auto MDI/MDX on either devices switched ports. Check your manual or just try it.

i dont have a manual for the second router/switch. the one in my room.

the switch only has 4 ethernet ports and an internet port.

also, my downstairs PC, the one connected directly to the main router (the netgear) has 2 ethernet jacks. 10/100 and gigabit. is there anything i can do to use the second port to connect to the switch in my room?

Yep, I gave you that information in my original reply post.

As far as the manual.....that's what the mfg's website is for.

That solution is not what you were asking for with your diagram and original question but whatever works

ktwebb said:
That solution is not what you were asking for with your diagram and original question but whatever works
wat are you talking about? i never posted a diagram of any sort. and thats exactly what i needed for my question that i asked. :confused:

Yep, got you confused with the guy who started this thread and whom the thread should have been addressing.

Back