Can someone tell me what Windows 7 has actually added?

Status
Not open for further replies.

S-B

[H]ard|Gawd
Please do not reply to this thread if you just want to praise/bash Windows. There are already enough of those threads here, please go to one of them.

I would like to know what exactly Windows 7 has actually ADDED compared to Vista. I want specifics, not some vague answer about improved performance. So far, I've found:
  • DirectX 11, which has probably been optimized a bit to improve pre-SM5.0 applications. Also other DirectX- and display-related stuff, like Direct2D.
  • A new version of Windows Media Center, which does what? I still see no basic Matroska or FLAC support.
  • A new GUI. Whoopdiedoo.
  • A bunch of stuff got renamed and moved, some things have been optimized. I don't want anyone replying with these things, we've heard enough about them.

-Support for "multiple heterogeneous graphics cards from different vendors"

-Ability to pin and unpin objects to the taskbar

-New Calculator and Paint

-Jump lists on the TaskBar

-New Networking API

-New color depths, up tp 48bit

- integration of PowerShell
- new touch-screen features
- new snipper tool to make taking screen shots easier
- a lot of the built in apps that were almost impossible to remove are now removed by default, but can be installed as needed through Windows Live Essentials (e.g. Mail, Messenger, Photo gallery, movie maker, etc..)
- free floating gadgets, sidebar removed.

Please do not reply to this thread if you just want to praise/bash Windows. There are already enough of those threads here, please go to one of them.

[*]A new version of Windows Media Center, which does what? I still see no basic Matroska or FLAC support.

It plays my avi and mt2s files without any additional modification or codecs loaded. That alone makes my day.

And there is a single plugin that allows for FLAC and Ogg playback (audio) in WMP that works great in my testing. As for MKV support, I'm sure someone is working on it. But the sheer amount of capabilities now because of the wide format support for codecs with WMP is nothing short of astonishing. It's almost like Microsoft threw FFDShow into Windows 7 or something... it can play almost anything... by default. ;)

d3c1us mentioned most of the features I would have listed, but I will also add Device Stage to it.

Touch screen. This would be good for corporate displays but I have a hands off policy on my monitor.

it can play almost anything... by default. ;)

You mean it's a VLC front-end ? :)

-Support for "multiple heterogeneous graphics cards from different vendors"
I'm not sure, but i'm fairly sure linux has had this for quite some time

-Ability to pin and unpin objects to the taskbar
Didn't KDE4 implement this a while back?

- free floating gadgets, sidebar removed.
Oh,... like those,.. widgets that linux had for years?

- a lot of the built in apps that were almost impossible to remove are now removed by default, but can be installed as needed through Windows Live Essentials (e.g. Mail, Messenger, Photo gallery, movie maker, etc..)

That, however, is what I really like about it. It's one of the key features that differs 7 from the rest.

That, however, is what I really like about it. It's one of the key features that differs 7 from the rest.

yup being able to actually remove BS is good.
I do however like the sound of the quicklaunch options. eg click on the word quicklaunch and it will give a list of recently opened doc, do on WMP and it will do recently played tracks

Im sure KDE has this in the pipeline

To be honest, it's no tthat it's adding features that already exist.. That's just how things go, but... it's the fact that they always call it "revolutionary" and "unique".
---
EDIT:

Yeah, the quicklaunch feature is neat :cool:

i beleive he asked what is new, not what linux has had for years :rolleyes:, any chance people have.. why cant people just refrain from this crap and keep the conversation directed to the question asked.

they may say revolutionary and unique, perhaps they are refering to windows...since they would be both to windows users..

i beleive he asked what is new, not what linux has had for years :rolleyes:, any chance people have.. why cant people just refrain from this crap and keep the conversation directed to the question asked.

Because it makes him feel smart to post that.

I like the revamped Backup and Restore. You can now save a Complete PC Backup over a network. Further, the network backup location's remaining capacity is shown to you and you can manage backup sets as well, all from a GUI.

I think they optimized the memory management. I'm not 100% sure. I'm not going to get flooded calls about Windows 7 until 2012, so I'm not going to bother. I'm sure kernel gurus will soon start debugging the Windows 7 kernel calls.

i think the coolest most usful new feature in win7 is the build in ISO burning tool
just right click on any ISO and burn away
one other thing i have to say is that NDA's suck

Built in ISO burner? Nifty and long overdue. I didn't even notice since Imgburn is in my group of apps I install immediately on any new load.

I would like to know what exactly Windows 7 has actually ADDED compared to Vista. I want specifics, not some vague answer about improved performance. So far, I've found:
  • DirectX 11, which has probably been optimized a bit to improve pre-SM5.0 applications. Also other DirectX- and display-related stuff, like Direct2D.
  • A new version of Windows Media Center, which does what? I still see no basic Matroska or FLAC support.
  • A new GUI. Whoopdiedoo.
  • A bunch of stuff got renamed and moved, some things have been optimized. I don't want anyone replying with these things, we've heard enough about them.
When I first read your "disclaimer" I thought this was going to be a valid thread. "No bashing" but you obviously left out "sarcastic overtones". You then sarcastically praise 7's new features. Nice attempt to cover up your own trolling.
Windows Vista has a Snipping Tool? I never knew....Where may I find this Snipping Tool on my Vista system?
Go to add/remove and windows components. It's part of the Tablet PC stuff. But I think it's only lincluded with Business and Ultimate. I'm not 100% sure though.

Windows Vista has a Snipping Tool? I never knew....Where may I find this Snipping Tool on my Vista system?

Click Start, type s-n-i-p and it'll appear, click the link, done. I still prefer just doing a screenshot with PrintScreen or an active window-only screenshot with Alt+PrintScreen then dumping it in Paint. Paint has CROP now which makes it damned handy...

I noticed in System Restore today that there is an ability to choose what is restored (System settings and previous versions, previous version only or turn off system protection). There is also a slider (like Windows XP) for how much space System Restore is allowed to use.

And there is a single plugin that allows for FLAC and Ogg playback (audio) in WMP that works great in my testing. As for MKV support, I'm sure someone is working on it. But the sheer amount of capabilities now because of the wide format support for codecs with WMP is nothing short of astonishing. It's almost like Microsoft threw FFDShow into Windows 7 or something... it can play almost anything... by default. ;)
Bout freaking time. Even in Vista I've had to install Codecs sometimes.

I wish trolls like this would freaking stay off the internet.

Built in ISO burner? Nifty and long overdue. I didn't even notice since Imgburn is in my group of apps I install immediately on any new load.
Yes! I noticed that too. I've been waiting for ISO burning FOREVER.
Unless I cannot figure it out though, I don't think we can mount ISOs yet :(

I wish trolls like this would freaking stay off the internet.

(
I'm glad I visited this page without login to view this page. I blocked view people who have "closed" minds when it comes to various technology. Ms and whatever other OSes aren't our family members. People should cheer for their favorite technology, so the best and fit enhance and better our lives and improve our business technology. It is a simple concept of Darwinism. Why is he a troll? Is he a troll for stating a correct statement or is he a troll, because he stated something he disagrees with you? He was 100% accurate about his statement. Only thing I can say is if he is treated as a troll, you are a childish brat who can't accept others opinions. Only a child will start crying in public, because someone disagree with him. Instead of calling in a troll, can you back up what he said was inaccurate, so we can all learn this argument? I think he was simply indicating all the additional features were something people already separately downloaded in the past. Now, it is all included in the OS and some other OSes had these features in the past.

Instead of calling in a troll, can you back up what he said was inaccurate, so we can all learn this argument?

Him being called a troll has nothing to do with giving inaccurate information. It's about him coming into a thread, offering little to the conversation, to boast about how some other operating system has had "X features for years." He's not offering anything constructive to the conversation, and is probably just looking to start another stupid back and forth about what freakin' OS is better then the other. Seriously, what’s the point in coming into a thread to just say “this has had that for years?” That's called being a troll.

Him being called a troll has nothing Seriously, what’s the point in coming into a thread to just say “this has had that for years?” That's called being a troll.

It is called, opinion, suggestion, and information. If what he said outrageous lies, I would say he was trolling, but information was very accurate. Instead of yelling he was trolling, how about, "hey dude.. I don't like your tone." He wasn't trolling for telling the facts.

For Christ's sake...

Please do not reply to this thread if you just want to bash Windows

Oh,... like those,.. widgets that

Now that the facts are established, let's all move on.

From the help file:

Improved taskbar and full-screen previews
Extend battery life with power-saving features - talks about adaptive brightness
Jump Lists
New ways to work with windows - Moving windows to certain locations causes them to automatically resize in different ways, putting pointer in bottom right hand corner turned all windows transparent.
Easier home networking - Windows HomeGroup
Device Stage
Windows Touch and Multi-touch
Media sharing utilizes Windows HomeGroup features

It is called, opinion, suggestion, and information. If what he said outrageous lies, I would say he was trolling, but information was very accurate.

*shrug* Well I guess your definition of trolling is different from a lot of other people here.

Click Start, type s-n-i-p and it'll appear, click the link, done. I still prefer just doing a screenshot with PrintScreen or an active window-only screenshot with Alt+PrintScreen then dumping it in Paint. Paint has CROP now which makes it damned handy...

That's what I did at first, but then I realized I turned off the Option Tablet PC services, which also turns off the Snipping Tool.

It is called, opinion, suggestion, and information. If what he said outrageous lies, I would say he was trolling, but information was very accurate. Instead of yelling he was trolling, how about, "hey dude.. I don't like your tone." He wasn't trolling for telling the facts.

Trolling doesn't always have to be inaccuracy. Going into a thread and making points, factual or otherwise, to stir things up is trolling.

Trolling doesn't always have to be inaccuracy. Going into a thread and making points, factual or otherwise, to stir things up is trolling.

Are you indicating the final statement of what is trolling or not is based on the popularity of people's views? So, it is like voting in a democratic way? A person has no way to find out he was a trolling or not until he posts a statement? If you don't like Ubuntu or other Linux in the Linux thread, you are consider a TROLL even you might have a valid point? If a person makes any buzz comparison between Linux and Windows, it is also considered trolling. It is an interesting perception you have over there. I guess everyone is a damn troll in this forum.

I guess everyone is a damn troll in this forum.

Fuck. He figured our secret out... ok, everybody, let's move over to Ars Technica and ruin that place too... ;) Oh, wait, I've been a member there (and here) since both places opened... oh well.

Are you indicating the final statement of what is trolling or not is based on the popularity of people's views? So, it is like voting in a democratic way? A person has no way to find out he was a trolling or not until he posts a statement? If you don't like Ubuntu or other Linux in the Linux thread, you are consider a TROLL even you might have a valid point? If a person makes any buzz comparison between Linux and Windows, it is also considered trolling. It is an interesting perception you have over there. I guess everyone is a damn troll in this forum.

It's usually not so black and white; it's more different shades of gray. Trolling is only trolling if you have the intention of stirring up trouble. If your goal wasn't to upset users, then you weren't trolling. You'll notice I didn't say the user was trolling, I was more pointing out that your definition of trolling is a bit inaccurate, and I did so for a reason. Trolling isn't always so blatant and easy to spot. It's not always like dumping a paint can on the Mona Lisa and expecting that nobody will notice. So unless it's obvious trolling, like going into a thread about Greenday and saying that Greenday is "a bunch of emo faggots who need to get over their lack of reproductive organs", you're kind of left up to guessing/assuming somebody is trolling.

I have noticed that if you open up mutiple windows of Internet Explorer it does not fill the taskbar. You have to click the Explorer icon and you see all the pages whether in tabs or mutiple explorers open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back