Can someone tell me how to install snap on Linux Mint?

Deadjasper

2[H]4U
All the instructions I've found via Google are garbage, they don't work? :dead:

sparkey@sparkey-X9SRH-7F-7TF:~$ sudo apt install snapd
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Package snapd is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'snapd' has no installation candidate

Hmmm, maybe I don't want to install snap. I'm trying to find a replacement for the shitty text editor that comes Mint. I like the looks of Notepad ++ and it installs via snap.
Is there another good text editor for Linux?

TIA

And thanks guys for the link. Now I know what's going on.

Hmmm, maybe I don't want to install snap. I'm trying to find a replacement for the shitty text editor that comes Mint. I like the looks of Notepad ++ and it installs via snap.
Is there another good text editor for Linux?

TIA
Pretty sure I just use pluma.

What comes with mint these days?

Why don't you just install Wine and use Notepad ++ that way?

That way you don't have to mess around with Snaps, and the latest stable version of Wine isn't hard to install. I just downloaded the .exe and had Notepad ++ installed in ~30 seconds.

Why don't you just install Wine and use Notepad ++ that way?

That way you don't have to mess around with Snaps, and the latest stable version of Wine isn't hard to install. I just downloaded the .exe and had Notepad ++ installed in ~30 seconds.
Shouldn't there be an equivalent? If I need to install Wine to get similar windows functionality, I might as well use Windows.

How about the Kate text editor?

You can install it from mint's repo.

Shouldn't there be an equivalent? If I need to install Wine to get similar windows functionality, I might as well use Windows.
Essentially, what the op wants is a little more than just a text editor - It's a boarderline wordprocessor. A text editor is exactly as the name implies, a software application for the basic editing of text - Whether that be some form of config file or lines of code.

Realistically, Libre Office will do everything the OP wants. However I don't really see the problem with installing Wine and running the text editor of the op's choice every bit as well as native. I use a vanilla Wine install for a vast number of small applications, from emulation to DVD ripping software.

Last edited:
How about the Kate text editor?

You can install it from mint's repo.
Kate doesn't really have what the OP wants. Essentially Kate's main purpose is a text editor used to write code - It doesn't have functionality for bold, etc as far as I can see.

I'm on Fedora and use Flatpak. I have Bottles installed via Flatpak. If you've never used Flatpaks I also recommend installing Flatseal simplify managing access control to your Flatpak apps. Bottles is a front end to simplify using Wine. I also use it to play some old games.

Just to test this out I downloaded the installer for Notepad++ from it's website. Opened bottles and create a new bottle for application. Waited 30 seconds for it to setup the bottle. Then I clicked Run executable and selected the NP++ installer. A few seconds later I had NP++ running. After installing it in Bottles it creates a link with a play/stop button to start and stop it thereafter.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2023-05-28 00-03-11.png
    Screenshot from 2023-05-28 00-03-11.png
    283.4 KB · Views: 1
After you install it you can create a desktop link by hitting the menu next to the play button and selecting Add Desktop Entry. In the 2nd pic you can see it pinned to my dash.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2023-05-28 00-15-10.png
    Screenshot from 2023-05-28 00-15-10.png
    39.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot from 2023-05-28 00-15-24.png
    Screenshot from 2023-05-28 00-15-24.png
    57.7 KB · Views: 1
I was going to ask if you've looked into Notepadqq but it looks like what you're wanting is a word processor.

Microsoft office has a free version that's pretty highly functional in windows 11 stock now. Try a dual boot?

another option, if they are of the no ms mindset, is google suite but thats google...
I'd consider MS Office if MS actually released it for Linux, but that's never going to happen and TBH I really don't need it. I prefer Linux over Windows, you do you and let everyone else use what they prefer.

I'd consider MS Office if MS actually released it for Linux, but that's never going to happen and TBH I really don't need it. I prefer Linux over Windows, you do you and let everyone else use what they prefer.
like i needed to know any of that...
im not telling anyone to use anything, im giving options. if youre confused, read all the posts....

Back