Can someone please help me share files between my vista computers?

Om1zzle

Limp Gawd
i have tried almost everything short of a reformat to get this working.

My desktop and a laptop are running Windows vista

Desktop- windows vista ultimate x64
Laptop- legit windows home premium?

anyway, I have a network at my house that has a XP desktop (wireless), vista desktop and laptop (wired). I am trying to get an 8 gb file from my Vista desktop to my laptop.

They see each other in the networks menu, but it asks for a password and nothing works to log in. I created an account on my desktop with the same username/password as the account on the laptop and that wont work either.

I have tried to turn off "password protected sharing", but when i click off, it stays on (on both machines)

The laptop does not see the xp computer on the network, only itself and the vista desktop.

This is really pissing me off. Help please!

Not a Vista user here, but I know you need to do this in XP - Is simple file sharing turned off?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304040

Also, try addressing all computers by IP. From a cmd line - "net use \\<youriphere\c$ /user:<usernamehere>". C$= C:\ Drive. After that, start->run "\\<youriphere\c$" to see the stuff. Alternately "net use m: \\somecomputer\c$ /user:administrator password" would map the M:\ drive to somecomputer's C:\ drive using administrator as the username and password as the password.

I dont think there is such an option in vista.

vista makes networking much more difficult than it ever was in xp (in my experience)

You can also use gpedit.msc to enable logon auditing to see what account is actually being used to authenticate. It will show up under Event Viewer\Security.

Change the vista network location to private, or, home? Then try to turn off the password protected sharing.

I know vista can get pretty emo about the network location.

If you need to share the file as soon as possible you could set up an FTP server on the laptop and transfer the file across from the desktop using an FTP client. FileZilla provides both the server and client you need.

Then you can go about actually investigating the problem with your network at your leisure rather than under pressure.

I looked at the logs, but how is that going to help me?

If you turn auditing on, you can see the actual account being used to authenticate. If it is trying Guest, yet you are specifying Administrator - then something is wrong, like simple file sharing (in the case of XP).

gpedit -> Computer Config -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Local Policies -> Audit Policies. Turn on Audit account logon events, Audit logon events.

Change the vista network location to private, or, home? Then try to turn off the password protected sharing.

I know vista can get pretty emo about the network location.

It is already a private network

If you turn auditing on, you can see the actual account being used to authenticate. If it is trying Guest, yet you are specifying Administrator - then something is wrong, like simple file sharing (in the case of XP).

gpedit -> Computer Config -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Local Policies -> Audit Policies. Turn on Audit account logon events, Audit logon events.

I tried this, and it looks like the Target User Name and the username that im entering are the same. I would really just prefer to turn off the password protected option. However, when I clock "turn off", it just stays on

Back