Can someone explain how I am running 2560x1440 over hdmi and vga?

sanelss

n00b
Pretty much as the title states. I have this monitor and it states you need a dual link dvi or display port connection for max resolution. I looked around a bit and it seems as though I should not be able to do what I am doing. I have one of these monitors running over hdmi at full res and one over analog vga at full res as seen here People have kept talking about needing dual link dvi or display port so why is this working for me? They are both running off a asus g60vx laptop with a gtx260m and looking up the info of the gpu, the gpu doesn't even support those resolutions as seen here so what the hell? I'm pleasantly surprised I'm just wondering if everyone else is having problems why it's working for me.

It's technically possible with HDMI if both the video card and the monitor can both handle a pixel clock of 241.50 MHz over a single link. If they are both HDMI 1.3 compliant, then they should be able to handle up to 340 MHz, which makes it possible. Older HDMI implementations are limited to 165 MHz.

VGA can easily handle the full resolution. Most video cards can handle up to 400 MHz, so it should work as long as the monitor can handle it properly.

Even though neither the monitor nor the video card officially support this? seems very odd.

Back