Can RX 470 play games in ultrawide?

bitibomer

Weaksauce
I wanna play game in ultrawide(the crew,...),i just recently purchase rx470 and i want to ask that can rx 470 play game at 2560x1080p

Probably high/medium for this resolution (see post#4)

Last edited:
Based on this review, the 470 is a high/ultra 1080p card at best, so I'm saying no.

Editing my original reply based on this quick research.

Based on this review, the 470 is a high/ultra 1080p card at best, so I'm saying no.

Editing my original reply based on this quick research.
so atleast i can play at medium setting right? How about 2 rx 470

Last edited:
so atleast i can play at medium setting right? How about rx 480
From 1920x1080p to 2560x1080p you are talking 1.33 x the number of pixels or 30% increase. If your frame rate was 60 fps at 1920x1080p then at 2560x1080p you're looking at 40fps. The Rx480 would do better ~8%-10% -> you would most likely need to reduce settings on some games. Now a FreeSync monitor does wonders and don't underestimate how low you can go with FreeSync. For me 40fps FreSync looks and feels smoother than 55fps non FreeSync. So you can take some performance lost in frame rates if you are using a FreeSync monitor.

Rx 480 and Freesync 2560x1080p monitor should work fairly well. Two Rx 480 could give some added performance in a number of games.

From 1920x1080p to 2560x1080p you are talking 1.33 x the number of pixels or 30% increase. If your frame rate was 60 fps at 1920x1080p then at 2560x1080p you're looking at 40fps. The Rx480 would do better ~8%-10% -> you would most likely need to reduce settings on some games. Now a FreeSync monitor does wonders and don't underestimate how low you can go with FreeSync. For me 40fps FreSync looks and feels smoother than 55fps non FreeSync. So you can take some performance lost in frame rates if you are using a FreeSync monitor.

Rx 480 and Freesync 2560x1080p monitor should work fairly well. Two Rx 480 could give some added performance in a number of games.
but i already have 1 rx 470, can i crossfire 2 of them?

Look at some benchmarks of the Crew game. Figure out what card the 470 is closest too (290/290x/390) at the rez you want.
Not many games are benched in ultra-wide so just look for a comparable rez that has about the same total pixels.

You can also just lower the resolution to 1920x810 and you'll be perfectly fine.

I wanna play game in ultrawide(the crew,...),i just recently purchase rx470 and i want to ask that can rx 470 play game at 2560x1080p

It should be fine with slightly lowered settings. We're talking 2MP at 1920x108 vs 2.7MP at 2560x1080. It's a bigger load percentage wise but it's still small, it's not like going to 1440 or higher. A 480 8gb would be a better target gpu imo.

Overall, you should be ok. Ultrawide 1080p isn't a huge leap in hardware demand. It's less than half of the resolution increase of going to 1440p standard. 60 fps @ standard 1920:1080 is 124416000 pixels/sec. Divide that by new resolution, 2560:1080, returns 45 new frames/sec. That's exactly how the pixel throughput converts. Slightly lowered settings from standard 1080p will get you what you want.

Crossfire, blarrrghhhhh. Sorry. I lose a little bit of my soul every time I hear/see the word crossfire. A large chunk goes with "Premium VR".

A 470 will push it just fine. You're almost to Vega (relatively). I'd hold onto one 470 and sell it when Vega releases if you want more umph.

A 470 should be able to push it at ultra. Worse case you drop from 4xMSAA to 2x.

Crossfire, blarrrghhhhh. Sorry. I lose a little bit of my soul every time I hear/see the word crossfire. A large chunk goes with "Premium VR".

A 470 will push it just fine. You're almost to Vega (relatively). I'd hold onto one 470 and sell it when Vega releases if you want more umph.

A 470 should be able to push it at ultra. Worse case you drop from 4xMSAA to 2x.
this info sounds good to me.....just learn to tweak a few hardly noticeable settings here and there and that card should hold you over;)

Trust me, you do not want to try to get multi-GPU working with mid range cards. Particularly mid-range AMD cards. As others have said, if your current card proves too weak for your tastes with the new higher resolution display, sell it and get something else. Do /not/ waste money going RX 470 Crossfire.

Trust me, you do not want to try to get multi-GPU working with mid range cards. Particularly mid-range AMD cards. As others have said, if your current card proves too weak for your tastes with the new higher resolution display, sell it and get something else. Do /not/ waste money going RX 470 Crossfire.

Considering that mid-range NV cards these days *can't* do multi-gpu, the specificity about AMD is unnecessary.

Considering that mid-range NV cards these days *can't* do multi-gpu, the specificity about AMD is unnecessary.

I consider the 1070 mid range, though I realize many would not.

I specify against AMD because... well, they can't keep up in the mid range, much less the top end, and SLI or Crossfire with anything less than top end GPUs -- I'd personally only include GTX 1080s and Titan XPs in that category at the moment -- is flat out stupid. You're always better off with a single faster card, rather than adding a second slower card and introducing all the issues that entails. More heat, more power draw, more noise, more driver issues, more points of failure.

Back