Can ping web sites but now browse.....

Dave851

n00b
Ok well I am havin werid issuses, internet explore can not browse the internet.

Things i have tryed

1. Reset modem, nothing
2. Reset IE, nothing
3. Tryed Firefox, nothing
4. Pinged google by name and ip in CMD, both pings worked
5.Flushed DNS cache, nothing
6.Flushed TCP, nothing
7.Reset Winsock, nothing

I'm running out of ideas here anyone else think of something i missed?

Check your hosts file and make sure everything there is set as default and does not have rogue addresses in it?

Ok I'm new to networking, i'm reading and learning as i go. I been on google for 3 hours and have run out of options. Please explain how to check that and what relation it would have to my problem, i like to learn by doing so i'm going to ask about lots of things please be patiant with me thank you

Go into your browser settings and check if it is trying to go through a proxy. The womans machine was recently affected and both the virus set both FF and IE to run a proxy through your own computer through port 53000 or close to that. After the virus was removed the proxy stopped working and the browsers stopped working, just had to turn off the proxy again.

This network does not use a proxy. Also, I just connected to the computer from my house useing teamveiwer, so the internet is conected, its browseing problem.

What Bone_Enterprise meant:

Go to the C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc folder. Double click on the "hosts" file and open it with Notepad.

It should look something like this:

Code:
# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
#	127.0.0.1       localhost

If there is anything else in there, that could be indicative of a problem.

Have you tried running a scan with Malwarebytes or Spybot to search for malware? Tried another browser to make sure it isn't just IE that's not working?

Ok well I am havin werid issuses, internet explore can not browse the internet.

Things i have tryed

1. Reset modem, nothing
2. Reset IE, nothing
3. Tryed Firefox, nothing
4. Pinged google by name and ip in CMD, both pings worked
5.Flushed DNS cache, nothing
6.Flushed TCP, nothing
7.Reset Winsock, nothing

I'm running out of ideas here anyone else think of something i missed?

yup 3rd thing i did. And scaned with anti-virus norton, malwarebytes the norm. no viruses. I just googled and read up on the host files, the one in the pc is identival to the one you posted..

Last edited:
I had this problem once, make sure your dns settings are correct. If they are set to automatic, enter something in save it and then set it back to auto and save it. For some reason that will fix it sometimes.

Is this happening on Windows XP, Vista, 7?

I see Dytralis stated "winsockxpfix", but I don't see the OP actually mentioning what flavor of Windows he has.

Whenever I get something like this, I also check for what Windows updates have been installed. For my brother's laptop, he had a similar problem. He has Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit, and after I uninstalled some KBs, his web browsing started working again.

So, check that out. Any recent KBs that were installed when this started happening?

Yep seeing this more often lately. A pc gets infected, cleaned and the proxy setting is still enabled. Go to internet options, connections, lan settings, remove check mark on proxy server setting.

Ok well its running Windows 7 home 64 bit.

Norton is installed on the pc. I checked firewall setting and they are fine.

Vito: There are no proxyes being used.

Keys: I do not use this pc and i can't get a clear date when this started.

Mister: There is no check in the poxy box

I did reset TCP/IP and winsock with the netsh command utility in cmd

Remove Norton using the Norton Removal Tool (Symnrt.exe) and try again. Regardless of if the firewall was disabled or enabled sometimes it gets screwy. Try it, let me know if it helps.

Remove Norton using the Norton Removal Tool (Symnrt.exe) and try again. Regardless of if the firewall was disabled or enabled sometimes it gets screwy. Try it, let me know if it helps.

definitely try this.

I have seen Norton and McAfee screw up browsing, even after stopping the services.

Make sure port 53 isn't being blocked on your firewall for some reason (this is commonly the port for DNS). And what are your DNS settings? Are you getting them from your ISP or do you have your own server set up?

Can you get to your routers config page (assuming it has one)?
Since you can ping google - can you access it via IP?
Can you try it in safe mode w/ networking?

I'm thinking spyware/virus. If it were some crazy DNS setting, host file, etc, you shouldn't be able to ping google by dns.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shoot, over looked the part where OP was able to ping Google by IP AND name!

Back