Can Ping, Can't browse. Need help.

courtex0

n00b
Hello all.

I'm cleaning a spyware/virus infested HP for a friend of mine, but I'm running into a problem. The system looks clean, but I can't browse, even on the local network. I can ping both IP addresses and URLs. I've tried removing and reinstalled the drivers, tried newer drivers, tried everything I could think of to repair winsock, tried flushing and registering DNS. I've also tried both Firefox and IE. I've also tried removing and reinstalling IE7, but nothing works. Any ideas?

Sounds like a DNS problem to me. Start by trying to ping the dns addresses. Do they respond? Try a different dns server.

It could be any one of a number of solutions to this problem depending on the causde, but it seems to me like it is some sort of dns issue.

EDIT: Check the firewall make sure that it isnt blocking the DNS port. Even if you can ping the DNS server, if the port is blocked it still wont work....

DNS is fine. I can ping websites by URL. I've tried the DNS addresses from my ISP and I've also tried 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2. :(

DNS is fine. I can ping websites by URL. I've tried the DNS addresses from my ISP and I've also tried 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2. :(

You responded before my edit. Sorry.. :D Check the firewall, make sure the DNS port isnt being blocked. Even if you can ping the DNS server if the port is blocked it still wont work.

DNS port isn't blocked, but I added to the exclusion list just for the hell of it. :D Still doesn't work though. :(

I dont know. I spent the last few minutes looking over old notes and I haven't found anything.

Try running a packet sniffer.. They arent exactly secure so be careful with it, but you can use it to figure out what exactly is going on. If there are any ACK failures or anything like that it can tell you.

Well thanks for your help, it is muchly appreciated. :D I'm gonna have to say screw it, I've wasted enough time trying to find otu what's wrong so I'm just gonna back up and reinstall. Thanks again all! :D

I've had machines like that I've worked on that were simply so infested and screwed up that it actually is easer to reformat and reload than to try to fix. I've had one computer that had such a nasty malware problem that it was also part rootkit and couldn't be removed no matter what.

Back