Can or should I keep KBoost enabled?

MelonSplitter

[H]ard|Gawd
This has probably been asked but I'm too lazy to search. I just bought a 1070 and would like to keep KBoost always enabled. Does anyone think that would be problematic?

KBoost keeps the card running full tilt at all times. If you're running stock cooling it's a really bad idea since the cooler may become saturated and the card will overheat. Excess power draw will also stress components over time leading to premature failure.

KBoost keeps the card running full tilt at all times. If you're running stock cooling it's a really bad idea since the cooler may become saturated and the card will overheat. Excess power draw will also stress components over time leading to premature failure.

So does it automatically enable itself while gaming?

unless you run some profile on EVGA precision nope, nothing is automatically. I don't know what exactly do you think Kboost is, but still gona explain briefly as im on phone right now, Kboost it's a tool on EVGA precision to lock maximum boost clock.. I think if im reading right, you are referring to Kboost as the typical boost clock of the card?, if that the case, the boost on the card work automatically OC'ing itself as much as TDP/Load andTemps allow.

If you have games where the card doesn't go to max boost can be generally due a non-demanding game running vsync'd the card will clock as high (or as low in some cases) as it need, some light games doesn't even require a powerful gpu to go beyond half of the base clock. if you have issues with games still not maxing out you can go to nvidia control panel and per game force the card to run in maximum performance mode regardless of load, this will keep the card running at base clock as minimum clock and everything else what need more juice will force maximum boost clock, so this is what I would use in those cases.

Back