Can one set the monitor at 144Hz but within the game run it at 60Hz ?

Subzerok11

Gawd
So lets say I can't run said PC game above 60fps do I keep the monitor still at 144Hz or choose a different refresh rate like 60Hz in the NCP and choose V-sync @60 in the game ? and yes I'm very bothered by screen tearing and must use V-sync and also no the monitor does not have G-sync.

Okay to take it from the top I have lots of games I can run solid at 144Hz but I have many that won't go over 65fps. So what are my options, set the the monitor at 60Hz in the NCP just for those hard to run games ?

I'd like to keep my monitor at all times at either 120 or 144 and just set the refresh at 60Hz in the game settings but not sure if that's possible, is it ? What do most do in these situations ? I'll be getting the monitor in the next couple of days.

Personally, I would just wait and see what you think about how games look running at 144hz with Vsync on or off first. The extra Hz will greatly reduce the amount of stuttering or screen tearing even if your framerate is way below 144. It's not perfect but it is a million times smoother than 60hz.

You can technically use Nvidia Control Panel to set the Preferred Refresh Rate setting to "Application Controlled" and then choose 60hz in each game (assuming the game in question allows you to choose refresh rate, which some don't.) The question is, why even bother with a 144hz monitor then? It doesn't seem like worthy investment if you're only going to use the 144hz on the desktop.

Well some games are limited to 60fps, some even at 30fps (which should be punishable by death by 100 rabid sharks), Wolfenstein New Order comes to mind.

In my experience the higher refresh rate is still somehow better. I play a lot of Dark Souls games that are locked 60 fps and running my display at 120 Hz somehow gives me a smoother experience than running the display at 60 Hz.

There is a setting for V-Sync in the NVIDIA control panel called "half refresh" which will cause V-Sync to kick in for a framerate that is half the monitor's refresh rate while still keeping the actual refresh rate of the monitor at the higher setting. So if the monitor is set to 144 Hz V-Sync will kick in at 72 FPS. Try using that. So long as the framerate is an integer divisor of the refresh rate you should be able to keep tearing to a minimum (so set the refresh rate to 120 Hz if you want to keep a game at 60 FPS).

Back