Can one mix and match switches and routers from different brands?

drdeutsch

2[H]4U
Right now I'm using a D-Link DI-624 wireless router, but I need to add a few switches/hubs for my network. If I use some Linksys switches, which seem to be pretty good and have nice rebates from ZZF, will this cause any network instability/problems?

Will I be better of going with some D-Link switches just to avoid problems, or won't it really matter?

Thanks,
drdeutsch

I will confirm that mixing and matching works fine. NO proprietary stuff here.

yeah, i have mixed 3-com and linksys switches and hubs a lot before with no problems. aside from that, i have used tons of different network cards on switches with no problems there either.

The only problem you'll run into is that your network equpment wont look all cool and uniform in color/design. :D

No problem there. It's going to be running around the whole apartment, so it'll just blend in with the mess.

Higher-end stuff you can run into problems (Cisco's ISL vs everyone else's 802.1q VLAN trunking, Cisco's HDLC serial encap, etc) but for simple hubs and switches, you'll be fine.

Fint said:
Higher-end stuff you can run into problems (Cisco's ISL vs everyone else's 802.1q VLAN trunking, Cisco's HDLC serial encap, etc) but for simple hubs and switches, you'll be fine.

that's why you try to use standards (BAD CISCO!). :)

well you can set cisco trunks to use dot1q encapsulation so it doesnt really matter anyhow.

unless youve got someone running your network who says encapsu-who? then youre in trouble.

You mentioned Dlink, so I need to mention that certain proprietary protocols won't work if you mix and match. You'll get basic functionality, but to get Dlinks high speed wireless stuff to work at the speeds they claim, you need all Dlink hardware, including NIC's.

Good morning all, I was looking to get some opinions on "UBIQUITI UNIFI SWITCH US-48-500W-SWITCH - 48 PORTS - MANAGED - RACK-MOUNTABLE", sorry for the all caps on that. We have two at my office and one of them has started having issues. They were both purchased in February of 2019 through the company that was hired to manage our IT system. This item is currently on backorder, like a lot of things which is why I ended up in this chat as we might have to go with a different brand.

Back