Can Of Whoopass Needed

HardOCP News

[H] News
The WSJ reported yesterday that NVIDIA and Intel are still at odds over the Nahalem license but that we would in fact see some motherboards that support SLI as Steve reported yesterday.

Nvidia listened, said Drew Henry, a general manager at the company. It plans to offer a specialized chip that will allow companies to design systems using an initial version of Nehalem -- and chip sets from Intel -- that can run multiple Nvidia graphics cards.

Still all of this just makes you wonder why NVIDIA has not pulled out that "Can of Whoopass" just yet.

Tell you what, if I had said can of whoopass, I'd hold that news off. The dow is below 11,000 right now. No good news is going to change this around. It's a sell-off.

Jen-Hsun Huang and Jerry Yang are both letting their egos write checks their companies are finding problems cashing.

I almost get the feeling nVidia might be going the way of 3DFX. The timeline's actually somewhat similar at this point. Pissing off partners and OEM's alike.

Tell you what, if I had said can of whoopass, I'd hold that news off. The dow is below 11,000 right now. No good news is going to change this around. It's a sell-off.

Yea the market sucks right now and I'm even losing money on the bargain $12.76 I paid per share. I hate America right now.... You think NV is doin bad, Apple's stock is pathetic right now. I feel bad for whoever bought in at $178+ on friday including me. We just have to bear the storm until it blows over, it it does.

No surprise here. EVERYTHING is down this morning. Nikkei, FTSE, NASDAQ, everything!!! Just wait & see if there's a rally this afternoon.

So I assume that at this point we'll see X58's with SLI,but Nvidia still can't produce their own boards for Nehalem.I'd say that's a win for us.It's obvious that they still don't know how to produce a stable motherboard,they should just concentrate on their graphics card business.

A local hospital reports that Nvidia is undergoing treatment for self-inflicted gunshot wounds to the foot.

I almost get the feeling nVidia might be going the way of 3DFX. The timeline's actually somewhat similar at this point. Pissing off partners and OEM's alike.

I'm sure it's too soon for that. They still have oodles of cash. They've got a lot of options, but you're right, they do need to make better decisions.

I'm sure it's too soon for that. They still have oodles of cash. They've got a lot of options, but you're right, they do need to make better decisions.

The key is what 3DFX did at this point. They spurned the OEMs and started making their own branded cards. I hope nVidia doesn't make this mistake.

The key is what 3DFX did at this point. They spurned the OEMs and started making their own branded cards. I hope nVidia doesn't make this mistake.

Nah, they're just spurning the customers instead ;) with stupid published pricing fiasco which makes no sense. "You have to hide the real price behind a mouse click!"

P.S. So it looks like SLI support with be with Nehalem, but not specifically with X58. Right? Instead of using the X58 as the combined NB/SB chip they will use an Nvidia MCP?

To: HardForum For Sale / Trade
Subject: WTB: Can of Whoopass

Hi Folks,

I'm looking to buy (or trade for - PM me) a can of whoopass. I promised some friends I'd open one up, but now I realize I don't have any on hand. Newegg is out of stock.

Let me know ASAP if you are looking to sell. Will throw in a free 7600GT + your asking price.

Thanks,

-nVidia

To: HardForum For Sale / Trade
Subject: WTB: Can of Whoopass

Hi Folks,

I'm looking to buy (or trade for - PM me) a can of whoopass. I promised some friends I'd open one up, but now I realize I don't have any on hand. Newegg is out of stock.

Let me know ASAP if you are looking to sell. Will throw in a free 7600GT + your asking price.

Thanks,

-nVidia

YGPM. :D

will that require another Nvidia driver to work? maybe we can get nvidia caused BSOD's up to 50%!

P.S. So it looks like SLI support with be with Nehalem, but not specifically with X58. Right? Instead of using the X58 as the combined NB/SB chip they will use an Nvidia MCP?

Apparently. And that essentially cuts Intel out of the loop. Mobo makers will be the ones implementing this. Nv opening this route only makes sense to me if Nv is pretty sure they will not be getting a license to build Nehalem chip sets or they expect to be a long time in bringing one to market.

Not having a license or being late to market for Nehalem would seriously hurt SLI's image. Due to sites benching SLI with Core2 quads or Amd cpu's against Xfire on Nehalem. Additionally, with their recent stock tumble they prolly don't want to be seen having SLI not work with Nehalem at launch. At the same time they do not want to give Intel a free SLI ride by just unlocking their drivers. Which would, as many have pointed out around this forum and others, prolly seriously damage or outright destroy their Intel chip set division. The mcp route seems a reasonable path from Nv's point of view.

I might be biting my tongue here (again) but part of the problem is online hardware sites. I know that sounds kind of strange but it is true. Bad press from hardware sites cause huge problems for companies like NVIDIA, AMD/ATi and 3DFX.

I remember when 3dfx was having there problems, instead of the community supporting and standing behind these great companies that made PC gaming what it is today, they spam the shit of out these companies instead. What will happen honestly if NVIDIA closes shop like 3dfx did back in 2000? What will happen to PC gaming in general? Any thoughts??

I might be biting my tongue here (again) but part of the problem is online hardware sites. I know that sounds kind of strange but it is true. Bad press from hardware sites cause huge problems for companies like NVIDIA, AMD/ATi and 3DFX.

I remember when 3dfx was having there problems, instead of the community supporting and standing behind these great companies that made PC gaming what it is today, they spam the shit of out these companies instead. What will happen honestly if NVIDIA closes shop like 3dfx did back in 2000? What will happen to PC gaming in general? Any thoughts??

AMD would be a monopoly for once. ;)
We still have Matrox and VIA... bit VIA's mostly integrated offerings (Chrome) didn't hold up too well (nice try, but no cookie) when they designed the Chrome chipset for graphics as a separate card. Dunno if Matrox is really all in the game much anymore. Intel's trying but I doubt they're gonna quite make it. Intel's doing the method that 3DFX tried about when they folded. Brute force with many chips.

nvidia cant make anything but a decent video card, and that's why i would agree they will probably fizzle out like 3dfx did. i still don't understand why intel hasn't plopped its big hairy balls into the video card market... i mean to compete directly with amd while squeezing nvidia into history.

From some of the comments on here, you'd think a lot of people want nVidia to just die. Why all the hate?

eeek dont say that

the price wouldnt look so bad if the 4870 was shit
maybe they just plain old didnt expect ati to shape up like that

whats really driving a the 4870 is the ddr5, hopefully nvid will revise with ddr5 and god damn, watch out :)

perhaps there next gx2 model will be ddr5

From some of the comments on here, you'd think a lot of people want nVidia to just die. Why all the hate?

Gee,maybe it's all those people who paid premium prices for an endless stream of cards for the last year and a half hoping to get in on the next super card,only to find out they were no better than the old 8800GTX.Or maybe they're just in a bad mood from all the headaches their wonderful Nvidia motherboards have given them.Perhaps they're the proud owners of a Nvidia equipped laptop?:rolleyes:

I have been running my 8800gtx since it came out with a hefty price tag.. I just have to say that the 7xxx series has given me nothing but trouble with their high pitch fans or poor performance. Sure I don't have that extra slot in the back anymore but it's been going smooth & perfect since !! Yes I applied AS5 to the gpu and ceramic to the memory / other tiny chips :) 85 Celcius max

a lot of people believe (and maybe correctly) that Nvidia was milking the situation for all it was worth. and at the same time not really working on anything new (sorry the 280 is impressive but really more of the same and not very practical) Not a great way to induce customer loyalty. Intel went the other way, made reasonable prices (on the mid to lower range of course) rather then exploit the lack of competition. Hence even with AMD somewhat crawling back up Intel is still popular. ATI comes out on top this generation, and they are on top, people are taking the opportunity to egg Nvidia. I only hope that AMD learned from Nvidia mistake and does not repeat it themselves.

just to toss in here... i have nforce2 boards that to this day are rock solid, same with some of my nforce4 boards. i think the biggest thing with nvidia is that they have difficulty making a great intel chipset. I can't argue that the people who make the chip are probably going to make the best chipset, but it does hurt to see nvidia unable to really step up on their intel chips. Don't get me wrong, i have and love my 680i board and took it over a ip35-pro, but i know I happen to be one of the fortunate owners of a 680i, and there is a division between good and bad ones, and in a premium board section from a high profile manufacturer that should definitely not happen...

i agree with whats being said about the video cards, again i <3 my 8800gts and my backup gt, but we aren't seeing innovation with the new cards, just increasingly higher tags....i mean with a good aftermarket cooler and a 120 dollar 8800 you can keep up with whats coming out...for way less than its costing.

i'd like to see some actual competition again

eeek dont say that

the price wouldnt look so bad if the 4870 was shit
maybe they just plain old didnt expect ati to shape up like that

whats really driving a the 4870 is the ddr5, hopefully nvid will revise with ddr5 and god damn, watch out :)

perhaps there next gx2 model will be ddr5

GDDR5 on top of a 512bit bus? It would be a monster, but probably cost almost a grand. GDDR5 isn't exactly cheap, nor is the 512bit bus. Though I'd love to see what 2gigs of GDDR5 running at 4GHz could do on a 512bit bus.

Back