Can no longer connect online on other devices when my desktop is online

Swatman1

n00b
I had a Buffalo Router: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833162134[1]

I have two laptops in the house that we use WIFI to connect to the router. I also have a Desktop that I connect with an ethernet cable to the router. If we use both laptops at the same time, there is no problem at all. However, If I use my desktop ethernet connection, the other devices in my house are UNABLE to use the internet/wifi. This is a very recent problem and I have done a hard reset on both my router and modem, changed passwords and have even called my internet provider only to have him tell me that my router is pretty old and run its course.

I was told by multiple people that it is a problem with the router so I purchased :

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049YQVHE/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00

The problem has not stopped. I even purchased a new modem in case it was the age of my modem *Both modem and router were over 5 years old*, and it did not fix the issue.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Sounds like its your computer thats causing the issue.

I would try the following and check after each step if the issue is resolved.

1. Check your network settings and connections on your comupter. Check that you don't have any weird ones. (Like your IP is the same as your router or something like that.)

2. I would run a virus scan and malware scan.

3. Uninstall your network drivers.

4 Reinstall your network driverrs.

5. Check that your computer is not trying out DHCP or DNS

Post of screens of your network settings and connections, if you think some are a bit weird.

While you're at it, try swapping out the Ethernet cable itself and trying a different port on the Router.

Sounds like its your computer thats causing the issue.

I would try the following and check after each step if the issue is resolved.

1. Check your network settings and connections on your comupter. Check that you don't have any weird ones. (Like your IP is the same as your router or something like that.)

2. I would run a virus scan and malware scan.

3. Uninstall your network drivers.

4 Reinstall your network driverrs.

5. Check that your computer is not trying out DHCP or DNS

Post of screens of your network settings and connections, if you think some are a bit weird.

Virus scan was fine. I am using windows 8 on desktop if that is what the problem is. How would I see if my IP is the same as my router ip? Also how do I check out #5?

Do you have internet connection sharing enabled on the desktop? Try turning on the laptops with the desktop off, use ipconfig to check their IP, turn off the laptops. Turn on the desktop, turn on the laptops and see if the laptop IP has changed.

Virus scan was fine. I am using windows 8 on desktop if that is what the problem is. How would I see if my IP is the same as my router ip? Also how do I check out #5?

open command line and ipconfig /all

#5 Don't worry about it if you don't know it would be really hard to do inadvertently.

Back