can my wrt54g be a wireless client and an access point at the same time?

dualblade

Supreme [H]ardness
i'm trying to set up a wrt54g to receive it's wan ip address from another access point, but also be able to accept wireless and wired clients. is this possible? if not, is there a way to set up a 54g as a wireless repeater without having to mess with the settings on the source router (the one with internet access)? i wouldn't mind losing the switch ports if i could have it act as a repeater. i'm not sure if wds is what i'm looking for, and if it is i could use a tutorial with the setup. i know how to setup the wrt54g as a wireless bridge, but then it loses it's ability to be an access point (or so it seems). maybe there's a magic combination of settings i don't know of

thanks for any help you can provide

Without hacked firmware, no, it can't do both. I have heard of people attemting to make a repeater out or a WRT54G using modified firmware, but not sure if it was ever succesful.
You CAN buy a Linksys device that specifically does nothing but repeats the signal (WRE54G I believe its called).

As for the hacked firmware, perhaps someone else can direct you where to look, or google around. Thats not really my area of expertise :).

i assumed it required a hacked firmware on the repeater/client device, but was hoping it didn't require one on the other side

when i was looking through wds tutorials, it seemed like both routers had to be configured with each other's mac address. is this not the case? the router with the internet connection is just running a standard linksys firmware, and that is pretty much the only fixed quantity in this equation.

Back