Can my old PSU handle SLI?

Furious_Styles

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey guys just wanted to throw a question out there and see what people think. The PSU is a Corsair model that's 750W and about 4 years old. I just bought 2x 970 and I'm wondering if it will be able to handle it. Current set up is listed below:

3770K @ 4.8ghz
Asrock Z77 extreme 4
2x 8gb DDR3 1600
1x MSI 770 lightning
1x dvd drive
3x WD 1TB black HDD
3x Samsung SSD
8x Noctua 120mm fans

I've used some of the power calculator sites and it seems to be pretty close to the limit.

You'll need to give us the exact model of PSU, Corsair doesn't actually manufacturer PSUs and they rebrand everything from garbage to fantastic quality PSUs.

I run the rig in my signature on a 650W PSU without any issues. Those calculators tend to be on the higher than normal side on account of shitty PSUs that can't handle their claimed rating which brings us to Quix's post. We'll need to know the exact model PSU before we can make figure out if that particular PSU is capable or not.

That's a good PSU. You'll be fine even after the PSU degrades a little over time. You'll still have plenty of juice.

Yeah, JohnnyGuru gave the 850w unit a 9.4, so it's a quality line and should be able to power a 500-600w load like yours.

You'll probably be fine for the next 5 years or so.

Yep the HX series was one of the last good non overpriced units Corsair put out.

Back