can my card do this?

wth> do some research. or if you already have this card like the thread title says fuckin try it :confused:

Doesn't doing research involve asking questions? Besides, I don't even HAVE a 24" monitor yet, I want to know before I buy one. Sorry to bug you.

Quick answer. Yes, it can run most at that resolution at high fps. For game specifics check out the HardOCP reviews or search google for the game in question.

Can it "run" the latest games? Yes.

Will you enjoy the latest games being run at the "highest" settings? No.

For example: Far Cry 2 at 1680 resolution, 2xAA, Very High settings is enjoyable. At 8xAA, HELL NO!

While I agree research wouldn't do any harm, I won't be as harsh. =)

I checked a couple reviews (googled) and looks like with a comparable CPU/RAM you should be able to play just about everything high settings on a 24". Might not be able to crank that AA to the ceiling but you can use a median setting (4x etc).

Guru3d, Techpowerup, Firingsquad, Anandtech and others all have reviews. Check them out and compare your system setup to those.

While I agree research wouldn't do any harm, I won't be as harsh. =)

I checked a couple reviews (googled) and looks like with a comparable CPU/RAM you should be able to play just about everything high settings on a 24". Might not be able to crank that AA to the ceiling but you can use a median setting (4x etc).

Guru3d, Techpowerup, Firingsquad, Anandtech and others all have reviews. Check them out and compare your system setup to those.

OK, maybe i was a bit harsh.:p

But shit, you just googled that crap for him. that's my point, you did the research. why can't he?

Doesn't doing research involve asking questions? Besides, I don't even HAVE a 24" monitor yet, I want to know before I buy one. Sorry to bug you.
No, you just asked us to do the research.:(

Could a gtx 260 run most current games on max settings @ 19x12 on a 24" monitor? Thanks.

it will give you some pretty good game play. right now its hard to suggest it with the 4870 1gb at 200 AR. (unless you have a deal on it) you can expect to play most games with high settings and some limited AA

it will give you some pretty good game play. right now its hard to suggest it with the 4870 1gb at 200 AR. (unless you have a deal on it)

Well there is a deal ($15 promocode) on the XFX 260 that takes it to $230 w/free delivery and no MIR to deal with.

On the other hand, as you mentioned, there's also this HIS Radeon HD 4870 1GB that also has free ship and $15 promocode. After MIR it's $200.

Unlike OP I do have a 24" monitor and was wondering which of these two cards would perform better @ 1920 x 1200. (i'm just interested in y'alls opinion, not looking for free research to be done for me). :rolleyes:

Yeah I already have a GTX 260, just wanted to know if I was shooting myself in the foot by buying a bigger monitor than my 22" crt.

Well there is a deal ($15 promocode) on the XFX 260 that takes it to $230 w/free delivery and no MIR to deal with.

On the other hand, as you mentioned, there's also this HIS Radeon HD 4870 1GB that also has free ship and $15 promocode. After MIR it's $200.

Unlike OP I do have a 24" monitor and was wondering which of these two cards would perform better @ 1920 x 1200. (i'm just interested in y'alls opinion, not looking for free research to be done for me). :rolleyes:

and for ten dollars more their is this. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131120

my issue is this, I don't mind paying a little more for one of the big three but there is no way the GTX260 should be more then an OCed 4870 1gb with an custom cooling option, even by 20 dollars. unless you just HAVE to have a nvidia card and actually have a use for the warranty (lets face it, 99% do not) I just can't see it. if it was one of their XXX ones or something but right now ATI is just killing them in the price/performance thing. Then again I don't expect that to last, nvidia will respond here I think

and for ten dollars more their is this. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131120

my issue is this, I don't mind paying a little more for one of the big three but there is no way the GTX260 should be more then an OCed 4870 1gb with an custom cooling option, even by 20 dollars.

I do mind paying a little extra for the same card just cause it's overclocked but has problems with flickering (according to the reviews) and thus needs to have the memory clocked down some to eliminate it. The HIS 4870 1Gb card I linked to above has a $15 promocode plus free shipping. That's quite a bit of savings over the Powercolor card. And both cards have MIRs. So I'd have to give the nod to the HIS card as being the better value. But that still doesn't answer my question I asked in my post above.

I do mind paying a little extra for the same card just cause it's overclocked but has problems with flickering (according to the reviews) and thus needs to have the memory clocked down some to eliminate it. The HIS 4870 1Gb card I linked to above has a $15 promocode plus free shipping. That's quite a bit of savings over the Powercolor card. And both cards have MIRs. So I'd have to give the nod to the HIS card as being the better value. But that still doesn't answer my question I asked in my post above.

overall the 4870 1gb is the better, at least by H reviews. it goes back and forth depending on drivers but overall you will get better game play with the 4870 1gb. this is close enough though that you could easily make your choice on what you play (FC2). and if you have a crossfire board that should be the deal maker there.

also, not sure about the card I posted but I put little to no faith in the new egg reviews. esp the motherboard reviews.

I was more interested in the cooling options, I agree entirely on not paying more for an OC card (though they do command a higher price) that has really be a grip with these last gen of cards, No AM coolers for mine, and noisy stock coolers for the 4800s

overall the 4870 1gb is the better, at least by H reviews. it goes back and forth depending on drivers but overall you will get better game play with the 4870 1gb.

Well wuda ya know, a little Google goes a long way. The review between these two cards found HERE disagrees and states the GTX 260 216 core is the better card. Better game play, runs cooler, draws less power.

Well wuda ya know, a little Google goes a long way. The review between these two cards found HERE disagrees and states the GTX 260 216 core is the better card. Better game play, runs cooler, draws less power.

I believe I qualified my post by saying H review, real game playing, not canned benchmarks. there is a difference. not to mention that was two driver release ago.

Never heard of Techgage before. Not that it means something, but usually respected websites are known in the community. (The techgage video card forum has 2 posts in 2009 too, again, just saying)

I'd lean towards the [H] reviews and overall community opinion here. =)

Lots of other reviews besides the one I mentioned comparing these two cards. (Techgage was the first one that showed up when I Googled "4870 1gb vs. GTX 260")

Another review HERE also gives a slight nod to the GTX 260. And I forgot to mention that the XFX GTX 260 card I linked to above comes with a free Far Cry 2 game. Both cards are good values with free shipping and promocodes. But I'm leaning toward the GTX 260 for having slightly better performance, better value and better warranty.

Back