Can MS survive without money?

AndreRio

[H]ard|Gawd
What do you guys think, are people buying windows 8? Yes or No. Can MS survive its own arrogance, will they change windows 8 back to what pay people like?

When will these threads stop? Has the "Operating Systems" subforum become a Windows 8 tabloid section now?

What do you guys think, are people buying windows 8? Yes or No. Can MS survive its own arrogance, will they change windows 8 back to what pay people like?

MS can survive its own arrogance. For something like one year with zero revenue. Not zero profit, zero revenue.

They might have pared this down from when Bill was in charge, but he's still chairman of the board, and I imagine most of the rest of the board was around when IBM imploded. They have been keeping a warchest just in case something like that happened because they can, and they've seen what happens when you don't first hand. Second, while they may have been getting lean (zero profit?) a quarter or two back, they still essentially have a ton of server fees that are a huge chunk of the cost of using windows and come in annually.

Microsoft doesn't just have the time to go back to 7, they have the time to reinvent themselves (if only once) and practically rewrite a brand new windows and office from the ground up (ok, either brand new or backward compatible: pick one).

I'm the windows edition of the ietroll, and I've been watching MSTN financials wondering if they were on a IBM-in-92 style implosion. Not gonna happen.

Last edited:
Of course they can survive as they are selling lots of Xboxs and Halos.

Derp!

Windows 8 sales were initially "moderate", but I believe any decent quantity they have have sold is due to all of the extra types of hardware now running Windows, basically bleeding edge hype. Sales will soon die down.

I do not think Windows 8 will be redesigned. I do think Windows 9 will do a much better job of combining a desktop and touch experience. The sad part about 8 is that it tries to do everything and winds up not doing anything well.

If you try to please everyone, you please no one. Remember that.

They actually state in that report that the majority purchasers were OEMs/Retail outlets and does not reflect consumer purchases.

Might want to "read" the article. ;)

i'm not positive on this but, i heard somewhere that microsoft does actually have other products besides windows.

Microsoft has some serious issues/soul searching to do, but threads like this just bring out the derp.

They actually state in that report that the majority purchasers were OEMs/Retail outlets and does not reflect consumer purchases.

It includes both, and the majority of sales are sold through OEM channels anyways. Consumers don't usually upgrade OS's, especially on OEM computers, which make up the majority of computers out there.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/11/oem-windows-8/

Microsoft may have had abnormally high expectations for Windows 8, but PC makers are stating that sales of Windows 8 computers are well within their internal expectations.

“In the past Windows was the only game in town, when it was Windows 7 or Vista it was the big event of the year. These days it’s a different environment.”

Windows 8 device sales are “going as predicted,” he said. “It sounds like they were a little more optimistic,” Barney said of Microsoft.

Barney and McFarland expect Windows 8 momentum to continue growing in 2013, though neither would offer any sales forecasts. Sony and Toshiba say they are committed to the platform and that consumers should expect more polished, touch-focused Windows 8 devices.

Oh, i did not know that they gave those away and got no money for them. My bad.

Back