Can Mobile Hardware Really Run a Cutting-Edge Shooter?

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Greatly impressed by the Nintendo Switch version of Wolfenstein 2, Eurogamer has taken the liberty of explaining how Panic Button managed to get another “impossible” port running on a years-old, fundamentally mobile processor. Thanks to a number of clever tweaks and adjustments, the developer was able to produce an authentic, albeit blurrier, copy of the game that aligns well with its console and PC counterparts.

The game itself is intact but achieving this on Switch has required a particular philosophy - specifically, the prioritization of rendering features over resolution. The end result is a game that is remarkably close to the existing versions, but it's also the blurriest game of the generation thus far - but the how and why is worth exploring. For starters, like Doom, Wolfenstein 2 utilizes an adaptive resolution feature that adjusts pixel count based on load.

Pretty much they did what they had to do. The Bethesda stuff has been pretty impressive, though I could only play it in handheld mode where the blurriness would be less noticeable.

switch...lol
what a sad excuse of a console, too big to be a handheld and too low perf to be a console, just stuck in limbo for diehard fans who are starved for games to the point of having an orgasm when something comes out.
gotta hand it to nintendo they did tame them very well.

Not really impressive TBH. They already use some pretty low poly assets so the actual 3D graphics aspect is easy enough and everything else is just pulled back two or three steps. Lower resolution, half the frame rate, reduced effects, no water physics, textures muddier than a shit smeared window.

I'm not saying games like these aren't fun on the go (though I thought Wolfenstein 2 was fucking godawful) but I certainly don't find it impressive that the Switch can do this. Most if not all top of the line phones these days could probably do something similar.

Congrats to Nintendo. I’ve been a longtime wokfenstein fan since the early 2000’s and Wolfenstein 2 TNC was very lackluster. I figure Machine Games needs the additional sales since this wolfenstein didn’t sell well.

Not really impressive TBH. They already use some pretty low poly assets so the actual 3D graphics aspect is easy enough and everything else is just pulled back two or three steps. Lower resolution, half the frame rate, reduced effects, no water physics, textures muddier than a shit smeared window.

I'm not saying games like these aren't fun on the go (though I thought Wolfenstein 2 was fucking godawful) but I certainly don't find it impressive that the Switch can do this. Most if not all top of the line phones these days could probably do something similar.
Most smartphones have better hardware than the Switch for not much more money.

Most smartphones have better hardware than the Switch for not much more money.

The only thing the Switch has going for it are physical controls which, if you ask me still suck ass. The joysticks are complete garbage with the shortest travel I think I've ever seen. I swear the nub on the New 3DS is better LOL!

switch...lol
what a sad excuse of a console, too big to be a handheld

No, it isn't. I use mine on the go all the time. It's particularly brilliant on things like an airplane.

and too low perf to be a console

In what way? The PS4 & Xbone are not exactly fast anymore, either, are those too low perf to be a console? There's no shortage of popular indie games these days, either, and they don't exactly need much perf. So is your ludicrous claim that the Switch is too slow to drive those at 1080p? If so you're objectively wrong. Or if you're claiming those aren't games worth playing, well then that's your opinion but you're missing out on a _lot_ of great content as a result.

Also find me any other system that's fast enough to play Super Mario Odyssey or Zelda BOTW.

Let's be honest, the Switch is for little kids. Your average Switch "owner" is some toddler with the parents buying the system and games. It's impressive what they've done here with hardware that is weaker than most recent phones, but I doubt it will improve the sales of Wolfenstein 2 all that much as no parent is going to buy this game for 3 year old little Billy to play on his Switch.

Last edited:
Back