Can Mac OS X be added to a boot menu on a PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Praetorius

Limp Gawd
I've seen Mac OS X running on a PC via the PearPC emulator.

But can it be listed as an option in a boot menu? Anyone have it set up this way?

I doubt it. Its an emulator. The most you can do is have the emulator start when Windows starts as the emulator requires Windows to run.

EDIT: How is what he's asking illegal? He's not asking where to get it or anything.

discussion of osx-86 is illeagal here because it is illegal to run osx on non apple certified hardware. Yes it is possible, no its not that hard to do, and yes discussion of this topic is not allowed here.

discussion of osx-86 is illeagal here because it is illegal to run osx on non apple certified hardware. Yes it is possible, no its not that hard to do, and yes discussion of this topic is not allowed here.

Uh...I thought PearPC allowed you to run the PowerPC version of Mac OSX on your PC?

http://pearpc.sourceforge.net/

You can buy that version off the shelves. Its no different than running Virtual PC or Boot Camp on the Mac with Windows. PearPC just happens to be open source.

Uh...I thought PearPC allowed you to run the PowerPC version of Mac OSX on your PC?

http://pearpc.sourceforge.net/

You can buy that version off the shelves. Its no different than running Virtual PC or Boot Camp on the Mac with Windows. PearPC just happens to be open source.

you can buy an x86 version of os x off the shelf too.

it still doesn't mean you are allowed to run it on a dell.

last I checked, PearPC wasn't an official Apple computer.

Illegal ... are you JOKING. Listen. If you can buy the software, install it on your hardware, it is legal. You may not get Apples technical support, of you may have a hard time with getting it stable, but ILLEGAL! What you buy is YOURS ... So yes, if you can find the programs to run it, and you can get it work, than yes by all means GO FOR IT!

:mad:

Illegal ... are you JOKING. Listen. If you can buy the software, install it on your hardware, it is legal. You may not get Apples technical support, of you may have a hard time with getting it stable, but ILLEGAL! What you buy is YOURS ... So yes, if you can find the programs to run it, and you can get it work, than yes by all means GO FOR IT!

It's part of Apple's licensing, which is a binding contract. (Any EULA is, in theory)

While you may not end up in prison, there are definitely legal courses they can pursue.

Give the OS-X EULA a quick read
http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/macosx104.pdf

The software (including Boot ROM code), documentation and any fonts accompanying this License whether on disk, in
read only memory, on any other media or in any other form (collectively the “Apple Software”) are licensed, not sold, to you by
Apple Computer, Inc. (“Apple”) for use only under the terms of this License, and Apple reserves all rights not expressly granted to
you.
You are not buying the a license not the software... You don't actually own the code when you buy an operating system.

. This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time. This
License does not allow the Apple Software to exist on more than one computer at a time, and you may not make the Apple Software
available over a network where it could be used by multiple computers at the same time.
Key phrase being "Apple Labeled Computer," and no, that does not mean you can slap an apple sticker that came with your ipod onto your dell and say it is an apple labeled computer.

It is illegal to run OS-X on PC hardware, end of story. there are plenty of sites where you can "buy" illegal software, that doesn't mean that its legal just because you paid money for it.

you can buy an x86 version of os x off the shelf too.

it still doesn't mean you are allowed to run it on a dell.

last I checked, PearPC wasn't an official Apple computer.
no you can't. the on the shelf version is only ppc. The only way to get an intel Tiger dvd is by buying an intel mac.

no you can't. the on the shelf version is only ppc. The only way to get an intel Tiger dvd is by buying an intel mac.

Indeed, I stand corrected.

Edit: Although I suspect that you'd be able to purchase leopard x86 off the shelf, once available.

Technically, you do not actually buy the software. You do not own it. It's just licensed to you. The terms of the licensing are spelled out in the end user license agreement.

My 8 year old went in the store and purchased it with cash. Also subscribed to maxim magazine at the checkout for me. And then opened the software and gave it to me as a fathers day present.

Who is bound to the EULA then?

A EULA is NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. In most cases it will NOT stand up in a court of law. You can not hold a minor to a legally binding contract via the same premis.

And if by some stretch apple started sueing people for running OSX on a non apple brand PC.. well that would be amazing.

I would be then even LESS likely to buy a mac. Though there laptops are sexy.. And they can run vista... ;)

My 8 year old went in the store and purchased it with cash. Also subscribed to maxim magazine at the checkout for me. And then opened the software and gave it to me as a fathers day present.

A EULA is NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. In most cases it will NOT stand up in a court of law. You can not hold a minor to a legally binding contract via the same premis.

And if by some stretch apple started sueing people for running OSX on a non apple brand PC.. well that would be amazing.

I would be then even LESS likely to buy a mac. Though there laptops are sexy.. And they can run vista... ;)

THANK YOU!!!

I work for a software vendor. If you install our software and make it work where our eula says no... we simply deny support.

Running OSx is as illegal as their lawyers say it is (and are willing to grind you under the weight of their deep pockets allows them to claim). Under your analogy the drug laws have a large loophole where eight year olds can buy smack for daddy’s daily present and the adult is not responsible. That’s pretty much bullsh*t. If the kid’s a minor and is your ward then you are responsible for it. Look at the history of the Columbia house music racket. Get a minor with questionable income to sign up, hit them up with a confusing contract and slam them with fees, and mommy and daddy are left to pay the tab.
Of course this is in a world where Apple would start suing people for the use of the word ‘pod’ in non computer or ipod related items. *shrug* so it goes.

It's part of Apple's licensing, which is a binding contract. (Any EULA is, in theory)

While you may not end up in prison, there are definitely legal courses they can pursue.

Indeed. We can discuss all day if it's just or not. The point is, it's against the RULES OF THIS FORUM, and isn't going to be discussed.

You have two choices:

1) Deal with the rules here
2) Ignore them, and get a vacation.

No one has to like the rules of any society....but you do have to follow them. Me personally, I don't want the [H] to become a warez-haven and be shut down. It's as simple as that. If you don't like the rules here, take that up with a moderator. Getting all whiney and pissy over what a EULA really means doesn't change anything here.

PearPC is a PPC platform emulator that runs within windows. So the answer is no.

Disclaimer: I gave him no info on how to/what to do for illegal OS. I simply said that the free opensource program PearPC which emulates PPC platforms can not be booted to directly.

Also, EULAs get nuts, anyone ever read this part of XP Pros EULA?

XP EULA said:
1.3 Device Connections. You may permit a maximum of ten (10) computers or other electronic devices (each a "Device") to connect to the Workstation Computer to utilize one or more of the following services of the Software: File Services, Print Services, Internet Information Services, Internet Connection Sharing and telephony services. The ten connection maximum includes any indirect connections made through "multiplexing" or other software or hardware which pools or aggregates connections. This ten connection maximum does not apply to other uses of the Software, such as synchronizing data between a Device and the Workstation Computer, provided only one user uses, accesses, displays or runs the Software at any one time. This Section 1.3 does not grant you rights to access a Workstation Computer Session from any Device. A "Session" means any use of the Software that enables functionality similar to that available to an end user who is interacting with the Workstation Computer through any combination of input, output and display peripherals.

Kinda puts the lock on using XP Pro as a file server or webserver for more than 10 people.

You have two choices: 1) Deal with the rules here 2) Ignore them said:
to become a warez-haven and be shut down. It's as simple as that. If you don't like the rules here, take that up with a moderator. Getting all whiney and pissy over what a EULA really means doesn't change anything here.

WTF is this. Now I know exactly where you are coming from, but G-Damn ... settle down.

You're still a noobie. When you've been here a while, you will grow weary of the whining and bitching that goes on about every product, company, license, etc. It gets old, and it obscures the people looking for help, or wanting to have a good natured discussion.

Also, note that when I say your a noobie, it's in reference to your time here, not your knowledge...another common flashpoint.

Running OSx is as illegal as their lawyers say it is (and are willing to grind you under the weight of their deep pockets allows them to claim). Under your analogy the drug laws have a large loophole where eight year olds can buy smack for daddy’s daily present and the adult is not responsible. That’s pretty much bullsh*t.
No, your argument is bullshit. There is an actual law the prohibits the possession of smack.

There are no laws that prohibit you from buying OS X and installing it on any machine you can get it on.

this is hilarious. wasn't this brought up in that other thread about the vista crack, where there was a link to the crack on the page that was LINKED on the front page? but it was left open until it got out of hand or something? this seems to be along the same lines. but there is no link to warez OR cracks anywhere this time and he just asked if he could use pearpc as an option in the boot menu. and all I did was link to the pearpc sourceforge site. yet you guys are still crying OMG WAREZ. amazing....

EDIT: and i seem to remember a news story about pearpc here back when it first came out PLUS a screenshot of it working. once again...i'm just kinda dumbfounded right now.

You're still a noobie. When you've been here a while, you will grow weary of the whining and bitching that goes on about every product, company, license, etc. It gets old, and it obscures the people looking for help, or wanting to have a good natured discussion.

Also, note that when I say your a noobie, it's in reference to your time here, not your knowledge...another common flashpoint.

Well, I hear yeah. But to be frank, all you have to go off of is my current posts. What you don't know about me is that I am active in many forums, and am a respected member. I know when reprimands are needed, and I know when things get annoying. This was a true discussion that got raped by the "You need to stop talking about illegal stuff DER DA der". It was not needed at all. What I was stating with my post is that some people just need to relax. Not everyone is here to mess with the forums, or break all the rules, or to spread useless shit all of the site.

So please, take a chill pill, relax, and let you members be members. If we start arguing about what is the best P2P software, then step in. But sharing opinions on what should or should not be in the EULA, or if a EULA is or is not accountable in a court of law, or whether or not we can get an OS to run on a particular setup, leave the post alone.

As soon as laws are put into place making it illeagle to sell an operating system to a minor then you have more of a point. Right now the litigious society we live in would see the legal costs and damages translated to the retailer or distributor of the software rather than the person being sued. (well that that person has the time and means to do so.) And lets face it if you are buying a intel mac for the OS (the only legal way to get it.) and removing it from the device in question to install it on "faster" or more "custom" hardware then you are really fulfilling the spirit of the license.

By the same token if you did not resell it you could upgrade the core components of your intel mac to make it the equivelent hardware wise of your PC.

No, you can't add PearPC to a boot menu.

P.S. Posting in a shitty thread.

Historically these threads just get locked because people like to bump them to tell you that they'll be locked.

Although a very cool thing to do, can't really discuss it here. I'm sure if you go creative with your google searches, you could find out though.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back