Can intel i9-9960xe manage to run with a 256gb ram?

Hi. I have a current build with i9-9960xe cpu, asus prime deluxe II mobo with 64gb ram. I saw some builds that their Asus Prime Deluxe II can manage to run a maximum 256gb ram even though it is only advertised to have a maximum of 128gb ram…but I noticed they have like i9-10xx cpus which is advertised to handle 256gb ram…I really wanted to upgrade my memory if posible to 256gb…my problem is that, will that work with my cpu (i9-9960xe)? Coz as advertised it can only handle a maximum of 128gb ram…can somebody shed light and give me advice on this? Thank you in advance for dropping by.

My understanding is that x299 can go up to 512GB if you use registered DIMMs, though you won't get ECC support in the bargain. I'm intrigued to know what you're doing that needs 256GB - CPU-driven machine learning? VMs from here to eternity? Database server?

now that 32GB UDIMMs are a thing I can't imagine why it wouldn't work, your best bet is to buy a couple of sticks and see if it POSTs. there are some beta BIOSes floating around for some of the X299 boards (not the one you have) that enables RDIMM support for up to 2TB (8x256GB).
on the other hand, if you are putting $1K+ into 256GB of memory you may consider a sidegrade to Xeon-W to get official ECC and RDIMM support.

My understanding is that x299 can go up to 512GB if you use registered DIMMs, though you won't get ECC support in the bargain. I'm intrigued to know what you're doing that needs 256GB - CPU-driven machine learning? VMs from here to eternity? Database server?
Hi thank you for dropping by…I use my rig for 3d visualizations. My current ram sometimes keep on getting warnings on my render engine that I have low memory…I’m thinking of making it 128gb as advertised but if it can go up to 256gb then l better upgrade the ram one time to it’s maximum…I’m sure my mobo can support now up to 256gb… my concern is my i9-9960x because I haven’t seen yet somebody posted using the same build that I have now.

now that 32GB UDIMMs are a thing I can't imagine why it wouldn't work, your best bet is to buy a couple of sticks and see if it POSTs. there are some beta BIOSes floating around for some of the X299 boards (not the one you have) that enables RDIMM support for up to 2TB (8x256GB).
on the other hand, if you are putting $1K+ into 256GB of memory you may consider a sidegrade to Xeon-W to get official ECC and RDIMM support.
Hi thanks for the advice. Yah, I think if I’ll buy 256gb ram module it’ll cost $1k above.😅 But as for now, just want to maximize my current rig. I’m thinking about dual cpus but maybe in my future rig if it really requires me.

Back