Can IGP's now handle at least console quality graphics?

JoeUser

2[H]4U
I'm looking at the new APU's from AMD with its HD 7660G and it looks like these IGP's can run games quite well.

I know its an apples to oranges comparison...but would a notebook containing the 7660G be able to run games at least at or better than general current gen game consoles? Thinking 720p mixed settings.

Some games like Max Payne 3 and others don't seem to be able to comfortably run on the IGP at all though however.

I don't know, just looking for a cheap notebook and if I could get one that games at least at console quality I think I might just like that.

Yes, the games should look the same on a 7660G compared to the console version.

If you put the xbox360 or PS3 games into that chart you would only see yellow and red FPS results at 720p or lower resolutions. The only game at ~720p that showed red on the 7660G chart is Max Payne 3 and at 24 FPS at meduim setings it will probably still look and run just as well as the console version.

Last edited:
It's not a straight comparison, as "console quality" generally means "game developed for console" as well, thus there's going to be a lot of compute power wasted on an IGP/x86 CPU.

In general, Trinity's 7660D will surpass console quality and by a pretty hefty margin. Just slap on some 2133 DDR3 RAM and overclock the GPU by 20% and you've got an even better on-die GPU

Am I mistaken by stating that intel 4000 is a pretty beastly IGP? Might want to look into that.. going to cost you a little more but I think the performance is worth it.

Am I mistaken by stating that intel 4000 is a pretty beastly IGP? Might want to look into that.. going to cost you a little more but I think the performance is worth it.

It's still quite a bit behind AMD. If you're looking for gaming, AMD is going to offer the better performance and drivers by a longshot as far as iGPUs go. When adding discrete cards the tables turn, though

Have we come a long way or what? Even Intel IGPs don't outright suck like they used to! Case in point: I have a Dell laptop with a Core 2 Duo 2.2 Ghz with a X3100. That thing puts out 12 fps at Doom 3 on the lowest quality 640x480. Halo PC - 640x480 with some eye candy turned off will do 30-60fps.

Fast Forward to my Core i3. For giggles I played some games using the HD2000, and Doom 3 was playable on High Quality settings at 1440x900 (native res for my old monitor) and stayed between 30 and 60 fps. Halo was more smooth with all eye candy features turned up at native res. I'm sure the HD4000 would fare a lot better too.

For OP's question - yes IGPs can do console-quality graphics. If your intent is to stay on the IGP platform, the AMD Trinity is the way to go. Honestly - I'm blown away by the fact that IGPs are playable at all, let alone at decent image quality settings!

The Intel 4000 is the first Intel graphics processor that I'd ever recommend to someone for casual gaming. I just picked up the i3 3225 for $5 over the 3220 just to try out the 4000 and it really isn't bad. It's comparable to console graphics but I still think it falls short on consistent frame rates in some games. The AMD IGP, however, works very well as a low-end dedicated graphics replacement. Especially when you consider how cheap it is.

Another thing to consider is AMDs driver support will likely be better than Intels (felt kinda weird typing that :p)

Not sure how much Intel has ramped up support though.

The Intel 4000 is the first Intel graphics processor that I'd ever recommend to someone for casual gaming. I just picked up the i3 3225 for $5 over the 3220 just to try out the 4000 and it really isn't bad. It's comparable to console graphics but I still think it falls short on consistent frame rates in some games. The AMD IGP, however, works very well as a low-end dedicated graphics replacement. Especially when you consider how cheap it is.

I'm in the same situation, got a 3225 with HD4000 IGP and it's quite playable on most games. For example L4D2 at 1024x768 I get framerates in the 50s even on multiplayer sessions with medium textures.

On the other hand it struggles with BC2 on low, since i assume the CPU is being taxed more and can't dedicate the same resources to graphics simultaneously.

If your focus is intentionally gaming on IGP, definitely go with AMD. For 2/3 the cost you'll get 1/3 greater performance. You might check out their APU scene, I built a low-end APU rig (3650) for a friend a couple months back and it did even better than my current Intel 4000.

Will we see this IGP on windows 8 tablets? that to be would be sensational. playing max payne 3 on a tablet !

Back