Can i used my droid as a 56k modem?

Like my old cell phone Casio Boulder could be used as a cdma modem. Can i use my droid commando as a 56k modem to connect to my laptop and desktop. Not trying to do a wi-fi hot spot.

You can do free USB tether in order to use your droid as a "modem"

You will need to get PDANET. The free version will let you browse, but for secure websites.. like netflix, etc. you will need the paid version.

You really only want to do something like this if you have an unlimited data plan.

carrier may block you if your plan does not specifically allow for it.

Why do you need a modem to connect your laptop and desktop?

If you mean just get on the internet using your phone than PDANet is it.
I've been using PDANet on my Verizon phone for close to two years and it's pretty nice.

I haven't seen DUN used on smart phones since I've owned one for the last few years. I used DUN to tether with my last feature phone (LG Voyager) and it worked pretty well actually, but since smart phones are easily able to tether without the use of DUN, I don't think anyone has tried. I'm not sure why you would rather do that over PdaNet or any other 3rd party tethering app either because using DUN burns up your minutes as opposed to data unless you only plan to do it after 9 or on weekends.

EasyTether is another app so you don't have to pay the extra $$ to your phone company to use your phone as a tethering device. I've been using it for about 2 months now with no problems.

Only plan to do it after 9 or on weekends.

I'm in a place that has "High Speed Net" but it's only like 4k. On my cdma i could do at least 10k thru netzero. And verizon wants more money to turn my phone into a hotspot to use the data plan on my phone.

I'm using full version EasyTether. It's been working like a champ. Download speeds on 3g are actually pretty decent. I downloaded a 4gb file last week, took about 6-7 hours but thats not too shabby for a phone. Def gotta have unlimited data though. I'm sitting at 12 gigs used this month.

Back