Can I use vsphere client to create VMs in ESXi 5.5

levak

Limp Gawd
Hello!

As far as I know, vmware vsphere client is useless in the new ESXi 5.5 when using machine hardware above ver. 8.

Can I still manage and create machines with hardware ver. 8 and manage that? Or do I need vsphere web client for that as well?

Matej

you can both create VMs (version 8) and manage VMs (version 9 - 10) created from the web interface.

You can manage VMs 9-10 created from web interface, but you can't create VMs ver. 9 and 10?

Matej

Not totally true. A while back, they modified the thick client so you can make *some* changes to later HW version VMs. Don't remember what specifically...

You can create all the way up to hw10 with the client, and mange some of the basic stuff like ram and cpu.

Get the 5.5U2 thick client. They returned it's usability.

The 5.5 U2 vSphere client returned the ability to modify all things up to HW8 in the VM.

I need to reword, but

You can modify a HW10 machine up to HW8 Capabilities.. if you need to modify HW9/10 capabilities you will need to use Web Client.

Check out the VMWare Host Client, which is included in one of the bundles and is free. You will have to install 'flash' for other browers too as it is web based.

Back