Can I use Vista Upgrade on a diff. PC

arcsum68

Limp Gawd
I know I read it somewhere in here, but cant seem to relocate it.

I decided to upgrade my hardware, if im not going to use the MCE2005 that I purchased anymore, will I be able to register the new hardware to the Vista upgrade?

Thanks for any help, if I find that answer I will post back.

Still doing some searching

This was a free Vista upgrade from Media Center bought OEM through Newegg, btw.
I see stuff on Retail upgrades, but not sure if its the same.

lots of stuff in the If you have purchased Windows XP OEM with Vista Upgrade coupone, please post here! thread, but nothing concrete

if anyone know for sure, or has tried this, please let me know

Thanks

See my last post in the coupon thread. The answer is no, it can only be used on the pc that had MCE2005 on it,

Definitely not the same circumstances as exist for retail upgrade licenses.

It should be mentioned, though, that even if you purchased a retail upgrade product, if the license you upgrade from is an OEM license then you STILL cannot legally transfer to a new machine. In practical terms you can get it installed and activated on a new system, but under those circumstances you would not have a legally valid license.

The same deal exists right back down the chain if you've used a succession of OS upgrade products. Your eventual license is either full retail or OEM by virtue of the circumstances of the original full license.

Got that?

When you use a retail upgrade Vista to upgrade an OEM XP or earlier OEM Windows license, it does NOT change your license to a migrateable retail license ;)

Sucks, I guess I might try it anyway.

MS has always been very helpful for me when asking for keys, so its worth a shot, but I wont expect it to work I guess.

Thanks for the input guys.

Back